1972 220d limo,Help?

chez.w

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d limosuine/1972/2l
hi i recently got a 220 d limo 1972 as i was driving it home the big end went. one garage told me to go and get it reground costing around £600-£750 and others have told me i might aswel put a recon engine into it. im not sure which to do and also dont know where to even start looking for another engine of that age and model can anyone give me any suggestions.? thanx

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I should imagine you will struggle to find a complete engine to swap it out with. You may be lucky though, but with an engine of that era you may be in for the same again.

I would have though an engine re-conditioner could repair your current one, or you could have the machining done by an engineering firm and rebuild yourself.

Another option would be to drop a later diesel in there, as I should imagine the 220d isn't the best at keeping up with modern traffic.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom