1976 450 SE Handbrake Stuck On -- HELP

Devonchick

Reaction score
Hi,

We have inherited a Mercedes 450 SE Auto after our uncle died. We are trying to sell the car to pay for the funeral expenses.

After leaving it parked outside with the handbrake on the drivers side handbrake is now locked on. Despite plenty of penetrating oil, rubber mallet and rocking backwards and forwards it refuses to unstick.

Does anyone have any suggestions. We have looked at removing the disk but this seems to be impossible. Short of trying to dismantle the entire handbrake we can't think of anything else.

Any help would be appreciated.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Have you tried just driving it....Needs more revs... ;)

Seriously, the shoes have stuck to the inside of the drum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is the handle releasing and going back but the wheel is sill locked

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
have you been able to back off the adjuster inside the hub? it is a small toothed part that can be turned with a screwdriver. failing that they may well be corroded to the inside of the disk as dieselman suggests. the idea of using engine power to free them off does have some merit...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If using the engine R is better than D owing to the design of the parking brake shoes

OP
D

Devonchick

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the handbrake is fully released and the the wheel is still locked on. Underneath the car the cables seem loose but not sure they are moving properly.

Interested in the adjuster screw, can't see anything on the wheel?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the handbrake is fully released and the the wheel is still locked on. Underneath the car the cables seem loose but not sure they are moving properly.

Interested in the adjuster screw, can't see anything on the wheel?

If you cannot turn the wheel,,then you will not be able to line up the hole in the hub to get to the adjuster,,do try putting the car into R and see if it comes of, it will be near impossible to get the drum part off as it stands due to the lip that will be inside the drum

OP
D

Devonchick

Reaction score
We can turn the wheel with the car jacked up , is the whole the one where the wheel nuts go through ? We need pictures or drawings as we don't really have a clue . Basic knowledge , but have a go mentality .
Thanks for the help so far , really is appreciated .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here is a photo of the wheel hub with the drum part off,,right at the top just to the left you can see the toothed ratchet wheel, you need to line up one of the holes in the drum so the you can get a flat bladed screwdriver in and flip the wheel round, to back the shoes off

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 17

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B42001000021.0051.gif

OP
D

Devonchick

Reaction score
Great thanks for the picture , will try in the morning and let you know how we get on . Fingers crossed .

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
if you are still struggling devonchick, i am sure malcolm would love to pop over to lend a hand. he is a really nice guy and is always happy to help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you are still struggling devonchick, i am sure malcolm would love to pop over to lend a hand. he is a really nice guy and is always happy to help.

I have my own problems

Attachments

• DSC00379.JPG
    DSC00379.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 13
OP
D

Devonchick

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but if i am to work on the car in the morning i really need to get some sleep . Will update as soon as i have any news or problems .

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Here's what is shown in the owners' handbook ( do you have it in the glovebox ? ) This is from a W114 manual , but the W116 is similar .
Brakeadj1.jpg

Bear in mind the adjuster will be at '11 o'clock' on one side of the car , and 'one o'clock' on the other !

Same info , but a bit more detail , from Autobooks workshop manual

brakeadj2.jpg

brakeadj3.jpg

It would be worth posting a few pictures of the car on here - a member may well be interested in it . W116's are becoming quite rare now and of the few that have not rusted into oblivion those that remain tend to be either well cared for examples that are now collectors' items or else basket cases only good for spares . It is , sadly , the often forgotten and overlooked S Class . When the 'official' club had an S Class day , last year , the W116 was the only model not to be represented , due to the low numbers still around !

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
One easy thing to try is get a good hold of the cable behind the wheel & give it a good wiggle up & down as it could be the cable sticking

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
If the adjuster , and reversing ( not driving forwards ) do not free it off , I'd get a decent sized club hammer and set about the drum , not being shy about it .( wearing suitable eye protection ) . Application of heat to the drum may also help .

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
We can turn the wheel with the car jacked up .

Just spotted this comment - why do you think the handbrake is seized on if you can turn the wheel by hand ? Do you hear 'rubbing' ? Or is there some drag ?

As per my above comment - remove pads and caliper from disc brake , one small screw holding disc/drum assembly to hub and it should knock off with a hammer/application of heat . Probably stuck to hub with corossion .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As the car is being sold, and in view of Ponteneers post above,, I an in Exeter next week as I have to return some parts,, I am quite happy to pop in and look the car over as a guide to anyone who may be interested in buying it.

OP
D

Devonchick

Reaction score
Success!

Thanks to everyone on this thread your ideas and comments have been really useful - especially the diagrams. In the end I found the adjuster as alexander_patient suggested and managed to back-off the pads. Even better the handbrake still works and now releases properly, which is great.

Malcom (television), would be happy for you to come across and give us your expert opinion on the car. We have put it up for sale as the Executors have instructed us. Follow this link to take a look at more information and pictures. We need to get as much as possible to pay for the funeral etc.

Any advice, words of wisdom, or general thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom