1986 420 SL (107) Blaupunkt Radio/Cassette Replacement Question

offwhite

Reaction score
My 1986 420 SL (type 107) has a Blaupunkt Boston SQM23 radio/cassette player fitted. Looks like it was fitted originally. Unfortunately it is no longer working. So, I want to buy a replacement, but not a new radio/cassette, rather one in keeping with a vehicle of this age.

My question is this - how do I know what replacements will fit? For example, I have seen a Blaupunkt Heilbronn SQM 39 that might do the trick and a Blaupunkt Hamburg SQM 23. But how do I know that they can fit where the Boston used to fit? Does the fact that mine is a "23" and one of the potential replacements is a "23" help, or is that a red-herring? Does anyone know how to get information about old Blaupunkt radios, when they were manufactured, which were used in SLs in the eighties, and what is a suitable replacement for a Boston SQM23?

Any leads or thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks, in advance.

Simon

OP
O

offwhite

Reaction score

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes that would make it harder living there :D

There is a whole series of these radio's they are all interchangeable, and the names just like Stockholm etc denote the features on that set. the Becker Grand Prix was common in these cars. I do not know if the FM band is the as in japan in Hong kong,,but buying one locally would be OK. they are all interchangeable

OP
O

offwhite

Reaction score
television - thanks again. I will see what I can find. Besides the names simply denoting what functions these radios have, do you happen to know what is meant by SQM23 or SQM28 etc. Is this anything size related, which means it may not fit my "slot" so to speak, or should I be unconcerned and live by your "everything is interchangeable" motto?

Oh, and yes, it can be tough here:D

Cheers!

Simon.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are all the same size,, and they have model numbers, the Boston was SQM23 and the Hamburg was the SQM24

Top Bottom