1990 300CE Idle erratic when warm

pugboy

Reaction score
I am scratching my head with this one, the old girl starts and runs great for about ten mins, perfect idle, then once it warms up, I assume when it switches to 'warm' fueling it suddenly starts erratic idling, up to about 1500 for a while, and if the throttle is blipped it'll rev up and down for a while on it's own before stabilising again at 1500ish, or sometimes dropping down to stalling. Smells like it's running rich. could it be a sensor of some sort?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

OP
P

pugboy

Reaction score
..forgot to mention it's the 12 valve M103 engine

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it is over fueling you could try grounding the air and water temp sensors, just short the terminal down to the engine, try it with the engine running

OP
P

pugboy

Reaction score
Cheers for that Malcolm, there are a few different sensors; some on the side of the engine and then at least one near the rear of the engine nearer to the bulkhead (a larger diameter plug with several terminals). Not sure which sensor is which. I'm guessing one relates to the fan and then at least one to fuelling. I'm a bit of a layman so not sure which to go for first.

SOrry for being a thicko!! :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will come back to it later :D:D

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Do the 12 valves have an idle control valve?

If so, worth hoyking it out and spraying it with carb cleaner.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will have a rotary idle valve

OP
P

pugboy

Reaction score
I've stripped the idle contol valve and run through with carb cleaner and sprayed through with wd40 then rebuilt. Whatever it is only happens when warm so I assume it's to do with something controling fueling. Which is most likely culprit if sensor?

I see malcolm has a link to a good parts site but not sure which sensor to try.

Cheers

Chris

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom