1991 SL300 roof problem

T

theboiler

Hello everyone, new boy here........

I got a 1991 SL300, the roof has a problem, when try to open the back part of the roof goes up, the rear cover lifts but thats it, the front part does not move? I can hear clicking in the back when I push the switch? The roof has not been used since last year so hoping its just stuck???? Sorry to bother you all just wondered if any one has any ideas for any easy fix, the drivers window does not work could this been the problem? P.S the roll bar moves up and down. Many thanks in advance. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Un lock the 2 front locks with the key, and that should free it

OP
T

theboiler

Un lock the 2 front locks with the key, and that should free it
Thanks for the reply, where are the front locks? top of the roof? Appreciate the help Malcolm. Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In your tool kit you have a flat plate with a hex key welded on it that makes it a handle, prise out the two circular disc behind the sun visors, and insert the key and turn them to release the top at the front

OP
T

theboiler

OK unclipped the front part of the hood, pushed the hood open button, the front locks back into place then the back part opens as before? any other ideas or does it need to be booked into Mercedes? Really appreciate any help with this. Thanks Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am short of time today due to the meet.

Undo all of the roof release locks and push it manually down all the way into the compartment

Yes reading you post again the roof cannot come down if it does not know where the windows are, they must be working first, and once working the window switch must be held in the up mode for 10 sec in Key 2, same with the roll bar

OP
T

theboiler

Thanks for the info, I removed the door panel found the 2 wires going to the window motor removed, reconnected and the window went down, the roof works perfect! Only problem the window dosent go up but take its just the switch? so crossed the wires to get the window back up. Looking for a window switch now....Thanks again. Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great news you are doing well:lol::lol:

type49

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I removed the door panel found the 2 wires going to the window motor removed, reconnected and the window went down, the roof works perfect! Only problem the window dosent go up but take its just the switch? so crossed the wires to get the window back up. Looking for a window switch now....Thanks again. Steve

The windows have to work to allow the roof to work. There is a microswitch to detect when the window is down. The motor wires (green?? I think) should both be live & then the switch gives an earth to one wire or the other.
Looks like you've done the hard bit:D

OP
T

theboiler

More trouble, help needed

Hello everyone, thought this was sorted but still a slight problem with my electric roof.

After fixing the window (many thanks for advice and switch) the roof goes down lovely, problem has started with going back up, the front top locks into place nicely but the action stops when the metal lid does not operate (it did before) I cant hear any clicking or anything, I can push it down by hand and after hitting the switch again the rear part locks into place. I have tried to reset the windows and roll bar, so hoping if anyone has had the same issue before could please let me know.....

I understand fault codes can be read? Does anyone have any information on the process etc? Faults codes?

Again thankyou for all the help......steve:(

p.s email steven_andrews@tiscali.co.uk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom