1993 300sl cutting out ?

sp4bmw

Reaction score
Hi
i have a 1993 300sl 24v which i have owned for 4 years, i only do 100 miles a year so not much use.
in the last six months when i start the car it runs perfectly for 5-10 minutes and then cuts out and will not start again until it has cooled down.
There is fuel getting through and a spark.
Please help as i wont now use the car as i cant rely on it.
thanks

meanie

Reaction score
You say that you have fuel & a spark-where did you check for the fuel delivery & spark?
Does it suddenly cut out,or seem to choke up.
Does it restart instantly once cold,or take bit of cranking?
Does it missfire,backfire or give any other indication before it cuts out?

I ask because I'm wondering whether you may have a faulty temp sender,or another fault with the cold start cycle.However,this only applies if it peters out.

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
This is sort of similar to my 91 300sl. It turned out to be the distributor cap getting mositure in once warm then cutting out. It wouldn't start until 20 minutes later when cold. Worth looking at

OP
S

sp4bmw

Reaction score
You say that you have fuel & a spark-where did you check for the fuel delivery & spark?
Does it suddenly cut out,or seem to choke up.
Does it restart instantly once cold,or take bit of cranking?
Does it missfire,backfire or give any other indication before it cuts out?

I ask because I'm wondering whether you may have a faulty temp sender,or another fault with the cold start cycle.However,this only applies if it peters out.
Q: Does it suddenly cut out,or seem to choke up.
A: IF IDLEING AFTER 10 MINS FROM COLD THE REVS START TO FALTER ABOUT AND THE A FEW MINS LATER IT CUTS OUT AND WILL NOT RESTART.
Q: Does it restart instantly once cold,or take bit of cranking?
A: IT RESTARTS FIRST TURN BUT ONLY RUNS FOR A MINUTE OR TWO
Q:Does it missfire,backfire or give any other indication before it cuts out
A: ONLY A POSS MISSFIRE LIKE FUEL RUNNING OUT.

OP
S

sp4bmw

Reaction score
This is sort of similar to my 91 300sl. It turned out to be the distributor cap getting mositure in once warm then cutting out. It wouldn't start until 20 minutes later when cold. Worth looking at
HI
thanks for the reply, i had a new cap about 1000 miles ago and the car is dry stored so should not get damp.
thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The fact that it is dry stored alters nothing as it is condensation coming up from the sump, you should take a look at the back side of the rotor arm

meanie

Reaction score
If you definately have fuel & a spark when it won't start then I think that you need to check the temperature sensor.
As DAZ,it is worth checking the cap & arm for pretty much any running issues on these engines as well.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I have to clean my Disti Caps out once a year otherwise mine has exactly the same symptoms - starts, runs for 10 mins then falters and cuts out. Wont restart until cold. Actually, I cleaned mine mine out over the easter break.

Top Bottom