1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle 1993 A209 CLK 200 Convertible (1.8 Kompressor) - Ice Blue

Discussion in 'Mercedes Car Classifieds' started by mercedes13156, Nov 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mercedes13156

mercedes13156 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
    Hi. We've decided to sell our beloved CLK. Its a great car and has served us well for the last few years. We'd love to keep it, but it's just not very practical for us anymore. The long doors make it very difficult for my wife and our parents to get in and out. Its also a bit low for them now. We're having to sacrifice the fun for practicality.

First of all, I'll list the bad bits.

1. There's a bit of rust on a couple of wheel arches. nothing that couldn't be ground out, filled and painted in a day. There's a single 10mm paint bubble on the rear quarter which means that there's some rust under it.
    2. We took it to the local valeting centre and left it while they did the business on it. We came back and drove away. The next day I noticed that the clearcoat had been partly stripped off the front left wing and a bit of the front bumper. The paint underneath was slightly chipped. (Looks like it had been powerwashed). After getting quotes for several hundred pounds to fix it, I rubbed it down got a rattle can matched up and gave it three coats, plus a few coats of clear coat. From six feet, you can't tell. From two feet, you can. There's still a bit on the front bumper to do, but I've still got some paint left.
    3. There are 17 years worth of wear and tear on the bodywork. there are a few small scratches and couple of very minor dings on the doors where the kids were fighting to get the door handle.
    4. The roof. It's completely intact and waterproof. The seals are great. They were taken off and replaced last year, so there are no leaks. The issue is with the lining around the rear window. It's pulled out of the metal trim and remains loose. It's a bit unsightly and a pig to fix. The cloth outer surface is slightly faded and currently there's a fair bit of algae ground into it. It'll clean off fairly easily.
    5. The wheels and tyres. They were refurbished two years ago. Two days later "we" unfortunately kerbed both back wheels. Nothing drastic, just infuriating. The fronts are fine but while you're fixing the rears, you might as well put a pair of tyres on. The book says 245s, but the 245s on it look a bit undersized. you'll need 265s.
    6. The rear anti roll bar drop links need replaced. It rattles a bit going over speed bumps and level crossings. New bushes for front and back come with the car. I just never had the time to fit them.
    7. There's a bit of marking and wear on the front seats. The front seatbelt return springs are a wee bit weak. They still work though.
    The good bits......

OK, that's the car described as best I can. I've been as honest as I can be.
    1. The engine. It's done 135,000 miles. There are no faults and no lights. It revs cleanly through to 6k. I service it myself and the book is marked up. It has a good service history before I got my hands on it. It's had a new thermostat two years ago and the supercharger oil was replaced last year. I think I've got every invoice and every MoT prior to our ownership. There is no timing chain rattle. The valve lifters clatter for a few seconds on a cold start, but it's very quiet. The gearbox ATF was replaced about 15000 miles ago. It shifts like greased butter and the kickdown is very healthy. Both Sport and Comfort modes operate as described.
    2. Fuel consumption. If you cane it, you'll get 22mpg. Regular running on A roads and Motorways will deliver 33 - 36mpg. We took it on a 400 mile return trip and got 39mpg.
    3. The suspension and steering. It got 2 new front springs and droplinks for its MoT in August. The rear springs were replaced for the previous MoT. Although it clatters a bit at low speed because of the rear droplinks, it sits down on the road and sticks like poo to a blanket at speed, and I mean it really sticks to the road.
    4. The roof. It opens and closes as it should. No issues. The straps for closing it manually are in the boot.
    5. Everything else. All of the switches work. The combi switch for the wipers and indicators was replaced this year. So was the squib for the front airbags. For those who know, it's attached to the clockspring and the steering angle sensor. That was all replaced and recalibrated. The headlamp lenses were refurbished a couple of years ago. The windows all wind up and down. The glovebox door closes solidly and stays shut. (Maybe shouldn't have said that)
    6. The paperwork is all there. We have a folder full of invoices and reports.
    7. There is only one key, but the car comes with a spare front wheel bearing, two front droplinks and an iCarsoft 980 Diagnostics scanner. Those who know will agree, this a first class piece of kit.
    OK I've been as honest as I can be. Who'll make me an offer. I'm not in a hurry to sell it, but it needs to go. One last thing, we'll be keeping the private plate.

Thanks for getting this far. I can't link any pictures just now, but they'll be going up in a few hours. The pictures were taken after a very wet and dirty drive to Dundee and back.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    How much are you asking for it...

3. matk

matk Member

Your Mercedes:
    2005 R230 350SL
    Price? Great description but no pictures??

4. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    Maybe it was snowing when the pics were taken :rolleyes:

5. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
    The CLK 209 didn't come out until 2003, the first CLK's 208 first came out in1997?
    Just read the report its a 2003, so a very early 209.

6. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes:
    Hi Blobcat. I have no idea what it's actually worth at the moment.

7. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes:
    It's one of the first 209s I believe.

8. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes:
    Hi. I'm still trying to work out how to post photos. It's been a long time.

9. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Click on upload a file button , next to the post reply button :D

10. Oldspanners

Oldspanners Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C CLASS 2004 C180
  11. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
  12. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes:
    Trying to load photos as we speak
    No, It's not that one. It's the later version.

13. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes:
    Finally, the photos. OK, the car is like a skip just now, but it will polish up just fine. If anyone wants better photos, just ask.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  14. OP
    mercedes13156

Your Mercedes: