1994, C280: Coolent Mystery

Arv

Reaction score
Hi All:

I parked my car on a slight slope with the front lower than the rear and
Yesterday I flushed coolent in my car till the last drop and was hoping to fill almost full 10 lit which is it's capacity. I filled 5 lit of coolent hoping to fill another 5 lit of water, but to my surprise, I couln't add any more fluid since the tank was full. Ran the car for about 10 min hoping it will suck in the coolent so I can add 5 lit of water, that didn't happen. Most of the coolent is still in the tank. So, I opened the thermostat housing to see if the water pump was full, and indeed it was.

The drain plug is at the lowest point in the cooling system, so I was hoping to drain all coolent that was there but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I took a 10km drive and the car didn't overheat. It maintained a steady temp of around 90 deg.

Does it retain almost 5 lit of fluid in the engine jacket when you flush, so on a refill, you end up adding only 5 lit? or what's going on?

Any opinions?

Thanks all for your help,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Did you leave the heater on hot, or take off the bottom hose

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Hi All:

I parked my car on a slight slope with the front lower than the rear and
Yesterday I flushed coolent in my car till the last drop and was hoping to fill almost full 10 lit which is it's capacity. I filled 5 lit of coolent hoping to fill another 5 lit of water, but to my surprise, I couln't add any more fluid since the tank was full. Ran the car for about 10 min hoping it will suck in the coolent so I can add 5 lit of water, that didn't happen. Most of the coolent is still in the tank. So, I opened the thermostat housing to see if the water pump was full, and indeed it was.

The drain plug is at the lowest point in the cooling system, so I was hoping to drain all coolent that was there but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I took a 10km drive and the car didn't overheat. It maintained a steady temp of around 90 deg.

Does it retain almost 5 lit of fluid in the engine jacket when you flush, so on a refill, you end up adding only 5 lit? or what's going on?

Any opinions?

Thanks all for your help,
Arv.

They'll be a fair bit in the engine and the heater, always hard to drain them down completly.

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Yes, I did leave the heater on Hi but I didn't remove the bottom hose of the radiator since it's not really exactly at the bottom but more towards the center.

Thanks for your help,
Arv.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom