1994, C280: Tranny Shift Lever Bushing

Arv

Reaction score
Hello:

I have some play (about 1.5 cm) in the shift lever (automatic transmission) in the driver cabin. It used to nice and tight when I shift. I checked the shift lever bushing under the car on the shift lever and the rod connecting it to tranny box, it is in place and in good condition. I had replaced it about 20k miles ago. They usually last for 75k miles.

Now, is there another bushing (on the top side of the shift lever) accessible from inside the driver cabin which is broken and hence the play in the shift lever? From inside the driver cabin, I see a boot covering the bottom part of the cabin shift lever so dirt doesn't fall in. Is this where another bushing is? If not, what could be the reason for the play?

Thank you for your help,
Arv.

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm:

Thank you for your reply and the diagrams. Refering to diagram 1, till now whenever I had play in the shift lever, I would change the bushing # 14 and it would go away. I had put in a new #14 on my car a while ago and I checked and it's still in place in good condition. So it makes me think that there must be something else near the end of # 122 or 54 where # 50 or 68 connects which is worn out.

What do you think? Is any of these parts a rubber part like # 14? How do you get to the end of 122 from the driver cabin? Is it easy to remove the shift lever guide plate with the shift positions marked on it?

Thank you for your help,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We do not get that much info on these things as they come in come lump, I will check to see hpw it all comes out,,there is a paper on that somewhere

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm for your help. Appreciate it.
Arv.

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm:

Did you have a chance to find the paper you have mentioned in your prior post about this which might have some info as to what could be the problem?

Thank you for your help,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address,,,,why not put it in your profile box

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm:

I updated the profile so you should be able to send me an email.

Thank you for your help again,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Details sent :D:D:D

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Found out the problem. Well, I didn't know there were 2 shift lever bushings on my car. So far I had always changed just one which is at the end of the rod connecting cabin shift lever to the transmission shift lever next to the exhaust pipe about every 75000 miles.

There is another bushing right under the shift lever in the driver cabin and towards the front left side of the transmission oil pan which was on there till now 240k miles which just broke last month.

It's kinda hard to get these hard rubber bushings on the shift lever.

Do they use some kind of special tool to install these bushings at the stealer or in the shops?

What tricks do some of you guys use to install it easily?

Thanks again for your help,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you removing the entire shift assembly to do it

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Oh, no, no. That will be too much work. Just accessing it from the bottom from under the car. I almost got it yesterday when I was working on it, and the pliers slipped off the bushing and the bushing flew off somewhere and vanished. What I have done last time I installed this bushing (towards the end of the connecting rod) is that I FILED one side of the bushing just a little to make it just a little CONICAL, apply a touch of grease or silicone and it snapped in fairly easily on the lever. There was more room to move around for this bushing.

Lock Clip on the rod: The trick I used to get it on was insert a 3mm metal piece like a wedge to open it up, hold the clip with a nose pliers (since you don't want to loose it if it flies and gets stuck somewhere) then it really easily slides on the grove of the rod connecting cabin shift lever to the actual shift lever of the transmission. Then move the clip all the in and remove the metal piece or wedge.

This bushing towards the front right under the cabin shift lever is towards the front of the tranny oil pan on left side and there is thick fire wall or heat insulation on the other side of the shift lever. So there is only about an inch to 1.5 inch of space to work in. That's why I ended up loosing the bushing. It flew up somewhere and probably stuck somewhere under the car. The bushing is really hard rubber bushing white in color. And it's really hard to hold in position on the hole in the shift lever. I had filed end of this bushing also.

I will finally get it on, just wondering what tricks some of you might be using to get the bushing on.

Thanks Malcolm for your help,
Arv.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry that I cannot help more in your quest for perfection;):D

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Do they use a special tool in the shops and at the dealer to install this bushing? Just curious to know.

Thanks a lot again,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do they use a special tool in the shops and at the dealer to install this bushing? Just curious to know.

Thanks a lot again,
Arv.

I cannot answer this as you are the only one to have ever asked about it,,when I am searching around I will take a note and let you know if I see anything on it , unless one of the indies can inform you

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
You know, you are right Malcolm. I think I had searched the forum before I had posted. I must be the only one having trouble installing it :(

How do you install it? Do you find it easy to install? You have to kinda muck around a little to get it on.

Thanks again,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You know, you are right Malcolm. I think I had searched the forum before I had posted. I must be the only one having trouble installing it :(

How do you install it? Do you find it easy to install? You have to kinda muck around a little to get it on.

Thanks again,
Arv.

I have never done one,,so I am like everyone else ;):(

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Wow. How's your cabin shift lever connected to the tranny shift lever? You must have some different mechanism. On my C280, these 2 levers are connected by a horizontal rod and at each end of this rod, there is this rubber bushing to prevent the levers going metal to metal with the rod and hence wearing out and also to smoothen the shifting.

I have another idea to install this bushing which I will try soon, and if successful, I will be sure to post it here on this thread.

Thanks a lot Malcolm again,
Arv.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car has only been 40k miles,,and my last one only went to 44k so time will tell;):D

OP
A

Arv

Reaction score
Well, then you have long time to go if you don't change the car. One bush lasts around 75k miles and the one in the front lasted 240k miles.

Thanks again,
Arv.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom