1994 E300 Diesel estate auto

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Needs a good clean under the bonnet and it would be perfect, lovely motor, classy.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E300 Deisel estate 1994 auto
Needs a good clean under the bonnet and it would be perfect, lovely motor, classy.
Thank you. You are right, it is on the list to get done.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Get it done while you still have the ‘new’ car enthusiasm, then drive it, wash and polish it, simples!
Aye. I have a list of things to do and then relax and enjoy the old-timer. This year I have re-built a couple of tired 2002 VW golf 1.9 Pds. A PD130 for my daughter, the other a PD 150 for myself. Both are nice cars now and both needed a lot of work and money to get them the way I wanted them. In comparison, this old merc is far nicer and considerably easier to work on and has needed far less work and money despite being 8 years older. At least it has been so far!

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
A real practical classic, lovely.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just found some 8 hole ronal alloys with winter tyres. I am picking them up on Sunday. I'll put the summer tyres on those alloys and the winters on the steels wheels.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, fitting front springs for some reason took me several hours longer than I thought it would.

Out with the old

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

The old spring is a bit compressed compared to the new spring

IMG_2197.JPG

New springs installed, this is the driver's side.

IMG_2198.JPG

Bushes on the driver's side control arm look pretty tired. Very little movement in them though. I shall see if they get flagged up at the MOT. Took the opportunity to deal with some surface rust - brass wire wheel, wash it down. Then dry and apply a coat of Hydrate 80. On the inner edge of the nearside wing where there is rust showing through under the paint I also stuck on some axle grease on top of the hydrate 80 to slow the tin worm.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still got a small fuel leak from somewhere. Will investigate over the next few days so we can box it off. The injection pump is no longer leaking from the area of the seals, and the previous owner said the o-rings in the fuel line pipes were replaced. Pity it all sits behind the aluminium inlet manifold.

In advance of my next foray into the pump area and manifold off have ordered viton o-rings from bearingboys.co.uk
20 of 8mm x 2.5mm
10 of 12 x 2.5mm for the fuel shut off

Will also have a good look at the leak-off pipes and fuel lines. I only gave them a cursory glance when doing the injection pump seals.

Last edited:
OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pulled the manifold off again to inspect the fuel pump. Was leaking this time from the top seal of the black plastic part that precedes the filter housing (how is that for a technical description!). The pipework has an interesting metal clip holding the pipes together. But the clip was not seated properly so the pipe was being held apart, not together. Removed the clip, pulled apart the pipe, removed the old o-ring and replaced it with a new Viton o-ring, tapped home with a brass drift and a plastic hammer and refitted. No more leaks from there now. I have not noticed any drops of fuel under the car yesterday or today. I will monitor.

She also has a rattle I can hear at tick over and shut down. sounds like a heat shield kind of rattle. I cannot hear it outside the car, only inside. Had a quick look tonight. I noticed that the back part of the undertray (the front part is long gone and I am thinking about getting a steel sump guard instead) right side metal clips that have 8mm bolts were pulled out of their metal housings. so pulled them out, cleaned up, a dab of hydrate 80 on there and the mount point and then tapped the retaining clips home. New cable ties to the front of the tray to secure that.

There is less rattle now but still there. I shall have a look at the metal heat shields maybe tomorrow.

Fitted a replacement window motor and regulator to the near-side rear window and lubed the channels. Windows works as it should now.

I replaced all the rear bulbs with new Lucas bulbs.

I think I will fit the Waeco MS50 Magic Speed cruise control unit I have had on the shelf for 5 years. That will be useful on longer drives. I priced up OEM parts on eBay but the cost is prohibitive.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Adjusted the cable to change the shift pattern. The car was changing up later than I wanted.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still smelling fuel so I pulled off the plastic cover over the injectors (shame it is a faff to have to remove the inlet manifold crossover and loosen the other intake pipe and EGR each time) and found 3 of the injector holes full of fuel - and it had been then running along the channel and onto the exhaust - hence the smell. Some of the leak-off/return pipes this time were porous and leaking. I am not surprised at their age. So I have replaced them with black silicone pipe and we shall monitor this.

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

Last edited:
OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have ordered the correct leak-off pipes to replace the silicone. I was chatting with a mechanic mate this morning and he said that would be best. I will fit them later on today.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Correct diesel leak-off pipes fitted.

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Started on the installation of the Waeco MS50 cruise control today. We have the same system in our 1994 Hymer S550 which has the 2.9 5 pot merc diesel up front.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Started on the installation of the Waeco MS50 cruise control today. We have the same system in our 1994 Hymer S550 which has the 2.9 5 pot merc diesel up front.
Good progress Adrian, I'd be interested to know more about this Waeco MS50 cruise control system your installing. It'll be ideal to fit one to our 2.5TD Peugeot Motorhome of 1990 vintage and one for our 2001 Mitsubushi 3.0 TD lorry ;)

OP
A

adrianr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good progress Adrian, I'd be interested to know more about this Waeco MS50 cruise control system your installing. It'll be ideal to fit one to our 2.5TD Peugeot Motorhome of 1990 vintage and one for our 2001 Mitsubushi 3.0 TD lorry ;)
Thank you. It's a good car.

I have found it the cruise control works well on the motorhome and should be fine on your transports. It is not as responsive as modern systems but (the sensitivity is adjustable) is fine in the old motorhome and will be fine on this estate. Initially, there was a problem with the cruise on the motorhome. It was not working when I bought the Hymer because of two faults. One was a broken reed switch for the clutch, the other a vacuum leak which also explained the heavy brake pedal. Once I sorted those it works fine and gets used a lot when we travel.

Perhaps this copy of the installation manual will give you some more info:

It is taking me a while to install it. Most time is taken as I am still familiarising myself with the Mercs layout and wiring and wanting it to be a tidy neat install. Waiting on some more twin core and some speed screws and p clips to run the wiring for the magnet pickup that goes on the prop shaft. The wiring has to run back to the engine bay near the fuse box. I will be fitting the brackets and the magnet pickup to the floor near the prop shaft over the next day or so. The wiring and clips etc will be done on Monday when those bits arrive, then I can do the road testing, adjust anything and put the bottom of the dash back together. The black control box and the bulk of the wiring and inline fuse will be cable tied to the hidden top surface of the black panel under the steering column. right now the wiring and the control box is taped with masking tape just under the steering wheel that way I can get to it all if needed without having to pull the dash apart. once tested and all working I will fix the box and secure the wiring with cable ties and clips.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom