1995 C220 won't start

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hi all

drove my usual 200 or so kilometres today and parked in town for a few minutes waiting, then tried to start the car again and click nothing, the lights on the dash look ok, battery is ok (confirmed by attempting a jump start from another car which made no difference).

so........ rolled it down the hill and started it in second gear, the car drove me fine all the way home, Parked it, and after dinner came out and tried to restart, again, no noise of a starter motor

so...... what is the failure, is the starter motor blitzed ? or some other annoyance, any ideas

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You have a voltmeter young man,,so put it on the small wire and see if you have 12 volt when you turn the key,, make sure the the engine earth straps are good including the battery one

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
my indie thinks its the ignition barrel as he claims he doesnt feel it turn properly, i'm not sure, as i dont remember what it should feel like

i'm tired, i'll try the spare key in it later tonite... problems problems

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just running a wire to the small terminal on the starter would prove it

bec

Reaction score
Website
www.inoxworks.eu
Your Mercedes
c180 w202
hi guys.

I got exact the same problem. I took out the batery and charged it , looked like a bad batery at first , still nothing.

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, now i tried to take out the ignition barrel but it seems i need some specialized tools or knoledge.

Car is 1994 c180, very good condition.

Dealer is not an option till the end of the month .. so any ideeas would be very apreciated.

Thanks

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
if you hear a click when you try to start the car there's a good chance it's a faulty solenoid on the starter ...... mine failed in the past with no warning

bec

Reaction score
Website
www.inoxworks.eu
Your Mercedes
c180 w202
no click, and the lights stay bright when it should crank...thats why i want to take out the ignition barrel , see if it starts hotwired..

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
no click, and the lights stay bright when it should crank...thats why i want to take out the ignition barrel , see if it starts hotwired..

it would be easy to check if your getting power to the small wire at the starter when the key is turned but probably is the switch thou ...but worth checking

bec

Reaction score
Website
www.inoxworks.eu
Your Mercedes
c180 w202
ya, but i don't have a tester or somebody else around to turn the key... thou i will try tomorow to get power from the batery to the starter . fun in the snow/mud :)

bec

Reaction score
Website
www.inoxworks.eu
Your Mercedes
c180 w202
so how this thing comes out (A)? it sure has something to do with the B holes...

Attachments

• contact.jpg
    contact.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 31

bec

Reaction score
Website
www.inoxworks.eu
Your Mercedes
c180 w202
guys, i took the car to a garage on monday... they did not find anything yet, i think i'll get robed by the end of the week and the car will still not start .

they say till now, it's not the startmotor or any relays or contact barrel...

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i see i never updated my own post with the actual failure, it was indeed the ignition barrel which had failed, some of the inner metal had broken apart and thus turning the key did not allow the car to start,

after getting my indie to replace the barrel components i was back in business and more in debt

cheers
niall

Top Bottom