1997 C180 over heating

Mickster1000

New Registration
Reaction score
My old Merc keeps on overheating. I think that it may be the water pump that's gone, but would appreciate some advice as I have to say that I haven't really got much of a clue when it comes to cars.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Hi Mickster,
About 83c is normal on the open road.
In slow moving traffic jam 100c is normal, dropping back to 83c when you get moving again.

If you don’t need to top up radiator regularly then things might be normal.
Only top up with coolant (halve antifreeze halve water) when engine has cooled down after about 2 hours.

Any evidence of water around pump area and on belt after driving for a while?

Dec

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
if your merc has the viscous coupling fan it could be that the viscous part is no longer working and therefore the fan is not cooling the engine enough anymore

you can do a search here for the Carrot Test to see how to check it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Some of the early 202 cars had a plastic water pump impeller that failed, at what point does it over heat

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i think the plastic impeller was on the 250 diesels.

as malcolm says, when does it overheat? this is vital to help further. eg is it when stationary in traffic, or when driving at speed?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom