1997 C200 Sport Not Starting

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so hope i'm in the right place.
Have been having intermittent starting problems with my 97 c200 sport. It will attempt to fire and just die off before fully starting. It can do this for up to 10 mins and then just fire and be fine. But if I stop after a short or long stint sometimes it will do the same thing when i try to start again. I've had diagnostic done, and the only thing that came up was the switch on the brake that stops the cruise control working bringing up the bas/asr light. I haven't replaced this yet, as I couldn't see any link to the non-starting as they appeared at separate times. Any ideas welcome please. Thanks

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so hope i'm in the right place.
Have been having intermittent starting problems with my 97 c200 sport. It will attempt to fire and just die off before fully starting. It can do this for up to 10 mins and then just fire and be fine. But if I stop after a short or long stint sometimes it will do the same thing when i try to start again. I've had diagnostic done, and the only thing that came up was the switch on the brake that stops the cruise control working bringing up the bas/asr light. I haven't replaced this yet, as I couldn't see any link to the non-starting as they appeared at separate times. Any ideas welcome please. Thanks

sounds like a crank shaft sensor fault, get it read/ checked out first before buying any parts

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All CPS measure about 1k ohm when good and near open circuit when warm or bad

stevesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 Sport 98
CPS failures normally manifest themselves as hot starting failures - which are then OK when it cools down. This is part of what the OP is seeing - but the post suggests it is general and not just when hot. Also when mine went the engine never showed the faintest sign of catching - I suspect the ECU doesn't even inject/spark without a CPS telling it where TDC is.

Not saying it isn't the CPS - just doesn't sound like the typical failure (but could still be it failing in a more unusual way). Not that I have any better suggestions.

OP
J
Reaction score
So changing the cps would probably be a good idea then? The diagnostic didn't pick up anything else so i'd rather not run another one unless absolutely necessary. It is fairly random as well, doesn't appear in specific weather/temp conditions. And went for a month starting perfectly and now has re-appearred. Thanks for your help so far.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is no in between with the CPS it either works correctly or it is dead,, the output goes to the engine ECU,,if no pulse from the CPS nothing can happen, and it will show no signs of firing at all

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
It’s a little quirk I found that can happen with my C class a 95 model year with the infra red remote key and immobiliser fitted as standard that I think was used on p reg models if its a pre facelift.

It happened to me when I first got my car new and I eventually found out what was causing it and how to cure it.

The symptoms are when you want to start the car it starts up revs up to a1000rpm and dies ,this can happen a few times and then it may start if your lucky especially if you leave it a few minuets.

I think this may be some sort of out of sync problem in the immobiliser or even as you turn the key and inadvertently press the infra red button it sends a signal that switches the immobiliser back active when it should be off to allow you to enter . I know it seems hard to believe that because its an infra red beam and not pointing at the mirror receptor at the time. To be honest I am not sure of the exact cause.

What definitely cures it (on my car anyway) is to point the infra red at the mirror and lock and unlock the car while your sat in it and then start it with the key and it will start perfectly normally. It seems to set and reset the immobiliser again allowing trouble free starting.

Its the immobiliser inadvertently immobilising that seems to be the problem

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i would reccomend monitoring fuel rail pressure during non starting.

john, do you have red/green lights for the locking in your mirror?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom