1997 S320 W140 AutoBox & ASR

S

stretchbev

Hi Guys,

I'm new to MB and the community having just bought an old S320.
I'm hoping that it's current issues are going to be fairly easily rectified and I can enjoy the car for all of its pleasures.

Anyway - First things First - It was sat in a driveway for about 18months before I made an offer and took it away.

There's a bit of rust and some body knocks, but I'm sorting those once I have an MOT. and here's the first problem:

The gearbox, doesn't seem to want to play ball.

It seems to be stuck in 3rd. Now I suspect this could be a limp home but don't know for sure. It may also be a little low on ATF, but need to make a dipstick (anyone know the dimensions)
Last night the gears were all fine for a very brief period, then after a roundabout, it was back the 3rd again.

Now the other problem, should probably be in another section, but the ASR/ABS lights are on.
I've tested the brake switch, and all is well - Had the front left wheel sensor off and it's also clean.
Any ideas folks? - Could the 2 problems be linked?

Could it be that I've cleared the fault but now just need to reset the EMS?

Someone is bound to say go and get the codes read by a stealer - any idea of cost? Anyone know of a reliable indy in the High Wycombe area?

Wow - a bit of a ramble for my first post - I have had a search through the site, and thanks for all of the valuable info.
Here's hoping I can get it fixed and back onto the road.

Andy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi and welcome,,, this is not going to be that easy, but hopefully not that hard.

This could be an ASR problem that is putting the gear box into the limp home mode, a missing speed signal, or this could be a ASR fault where the throttle assembly activates it all.
Is the CC working

You will be better off getting the fault codes read out.

OP
S

stretchbev

Malcolm,

Thanks for your quick reply.

If by CC you mean Cruise Control, then yes it works fine. Does this narrow down the options?

Andy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CC shows that this is not a speed signal fault, so it narrows things down.

If the car has been standing,is the battery new or the old one charged up, as an under voltage can give you your faults.

As you car has ASR I would have thought that it would have needed an OVP relay for the ASR part, this is a relay with the fuse on top, and not normally fitted on a 140. if you have one, it could be faulty and be the reason for both faults

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Hi Guys,

I'm new to MB and the community having just bought an old S320.

It seems to be stuck in 3rd. Now I suspect this could be a limp home but don't know for sure. It may also be a little low on ATF, but need to make a dipstick (anyone know the dimensions)

Andy

My 96 has a dipstick at the rear of the engine - why do you need to make one?

OP
S

stretchbev

Malcolm,

Thanks for this - I appreciate your help.
I will check the voltage on the battery, although I'm fairly sure it is fully charged, it was 100miles bringing it home.

An OVP relay? I'll have a look. Where am I looking and is it possible to test.

I'm beginning to feel happier.

Stuart, My car doesn't have a dipstick, just a lovely cover telling me that I'm not a qualified MB engineer so shouldn't be looking at nasty things like ATF levels.....
I know I should be able to order one from MB - but figure I could make one if I knew 3 simple points. 1 - Length 2 - distance from bottom end to 'low marker' and 3 - distance from low marker to high marker.

Anyone got any ideas how much MB will charge for a Code read?
Anyone friendly enough and local got a reader?

Andy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With curtain wire you can make a dip stick,,it should measure 5-6 cm when hot, and pushed right in lightly.

See what i can find on the OVP relay.

The battery must be at least 12 volts when started, or your faults could come up through what we call a starting blip

OP
S

stretchbev

Malcolm,

You're a star!
I'm having a night off of sorting the car tonight, but will put everything i've been advised here into practise tomorrow night. and of course will report back.

The plan once i've got it running right is to get an MOT and some tax. Then it's usable.
After that its onto the bodywork.
There's a fair amount of rust around the wheel arches and door edges, also because it was a chauffeur car the lacquer on the bonnet has gone.
So a good old rub back and respray will bring the old girl back to her former glory.

Hopefully in time for the summer.

All going well i'll post soe piccies too.

Andy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom