1998 e280 starter/ignition problem

Anders69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/2798
Hi all , recently purchased an 1998 e280 elegance, have started having problems with the keyfobs not starting the car.

After reading forums I have replaced the batteries in the key fobs , both of them , I have one fob that will unlock the car boot etc, and one that will start the car but reluctantly and not very often open the car.

The one that opens the car will not start the car at all.

The other one will stat the car but yesterday for example fine for five starts, then refused to unlock the keybarrel (? not sure if thats the right terminology for smart key thingy) for ten minutes , then started the car. The car starts first time every time when the key turns but the key will not always turn.

I have charged the main car battery and now have a trickle (solar) charger on it to keep it topped up but this seems to have made little difference.

Do I require an EIS module ECU change and if so where's the numbers for these things so I can get some quotes Ta in advance

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
First check if the key is emitting IR from the LED in the end of the key. Point it at a digital camera and operate it and watch in the display.

It could be the key for the not starting or it could be the EIS going faulty.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the keys, the internal batteries are only for the locking, the key is powered from the ignition switch for the starting, if one key has been dropped and the transponder coil broken off, then that would explain that one., the key that will start it should release the steering lock as soon as it is put in.

Sadly you cannot test the starting part of the key with a camera, the ignition switches do go down on these cars and not cheap at £450

OP
A

Anders69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/1998/2798
Additional

Trying to move car earlier today after posting , took around half an hour for key to register being in lock , would put key in wouldn't unlock steering lock then actually twice it unlocked but would n't start would go all the way round in ignition but wouldn't start. Then for no apparent reason it worked ? (I feel clueless, will key work if no batteries inserted?)
What parts do I require to replace the ignition barrel? and eis? (do I need to?) and if i've to get a replacement eis? where do i find code for it ? is it in engine bay or on key barrel unit itself?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom