1999 SLK230 Alternator / Supercharger Belt Tensioner

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
On Thursday the wife reported the battery light came on on her way from home. I did a quick visual on the belts and all seemed OK. I then checked the charging rate and as it didn't appear to be charging assumed it was the alternator. Before ordering a replacement I thought on would check the output directly from the back of the alternator.

On closer inspection this morning the alternator / supercharger belt was loose and the tensioner bent / at an angle. This was a new unit that was fitted by my indie back in February when the original belt were replaced and the bearings in the old unit appeared to be a bit dodgy.

I removed the belt completely thinking perhaps the alternator had seized. This was completely free along with the supercharger pulley. Could it just be a dodgy replacement tensioner?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom