1999 W202 C230K won't start. help please

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Hello all,

is it the ecu. a relay or a fuse I don’t know where to start:confused:. My 1999 W202 C230K developed a misfire, 1 plug was fouled I replaced spark plugs. (I didn’t on this occasion remove the battery earth lead & think I also trapped 1 of the black wires from the front coil between the back coil and its seating on the rocker box :Oops: ) after reconnecting everything I tried to start the engine to no avail, when the engine stops turning over I can hear a fairly high pitched electrical processor type sound appearing to come from underneath were the injectors are, I can smell fuel at the exhaust, any ideas of what my problems maybe:(?

P.S. the connectors with two coming out of on the coils are in fairly poor condition, the plastic has bits broken off, but the two pins still seem to be connected into the coil.
Thank you

Jon

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
How long is a piece of string jon ????

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
I wish I knew. what do I need to check if I have no sparks at the plug?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
guessing you have fried the ECU outputs with that trapped wire. is fuel being injected? if you have no feed to the coils but fuel IS being injected it strongly suggests the ignition output stages in the ECU are damaged, this is usually repairable. would certainly be worth getting the fault codes and live data checked.

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Hi Alex, I can smell fuel at the exhaust. I am near Lancaster. does any one know where I could get fault codes and live data checked, that would involve transporting as auto gearbox car would it be cheaper to remove ECU and have outputs tested and repaired any idea of cost of ignition output stages of ECU repair?:sad:

Thank you for your help

undeckedhomer

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e 320 cdi aventguard with amg spec
Hi Alex, I can smell fuel at the exhaust. I am near Lancaster. does any one know where I could get fault codes and live data checked, that would involve transporting as auto gearbox car would it be cheaper to remove ECU and have outputs tested and repaired any idea of cost of ignition output stages of ECU repair?:sad:

Thank you for your help
hi sory for very late posting being off here for a while i would use gary warburton in fleetwood his address is gary warburton back of fleetwood car centre 01253 874756 not get a better indie in the area mate alex will back me up on this one top fella pro to the letter :D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
gary 'the loaf' warburton is indeed the man.

the cost of sending the ECU away for testing is less than a recovery truck, but what if it comes back tested OK?

OP
J

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Hi All, Thanks for the info.
After finding a 15 amp fuse blown in the ECU box and doing a reset, I now have sparks again, bought some new high tension leads. But I still have my original problem of not firing on number three cylinder, I'm beginning to think that this may be the coil @ 136k although it fires okay on number two cylinder. I will put this on as a problem on the forum.

Thanks again for you help

Jon

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
I'm assuming you have the 2 coil set up here?
Why not swap the coils round and see if #3 fires up;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom