2.3 16V oil pump - is it chain driven

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeA

Reaction score
Hi, I,ve got engine problems with a failed oil pump and I would like to know it it's driven direct off the crank or by a chain off the crank.
This is cause my pump failed and when i noticed I pulled off the road with the clutch dipped and the engine stalled, it will not turn over now. I don't think it's seized as there was no drop in power / smoke noises etc, apart from a noise as the engine stopped. I did think it may have been the cam chain tensioner slackening as the oil pressure dropped but the pistons are not near the valves. I'm now wondering if the oil pump chain has broke and got caught under the cam chain ?

Thanks

Mike

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
2.3 16V oil pump

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear of your problems. The oil pump is driven by chain off the front of the crankshaft. Oil pumps are usually ok. I never heard of one failing or the chain breaking. If the chain had broken and got cought. I would expect a hole if the front cover where the chain had cought the casing internally and pulled out a chunk from the front casing.
Your next step should be. Remove sump and acertain extent of damage.

Good luck

Regards
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
2.3 16V oil pump

Hi Mike

Please disregard my previous posting. I had a bit of a "brain storm". The oil pump on your vehicle is driven directly off the crankshaft. The crank runs directly through the oil pump off the oil pump drive which is a specially shapped runner.

You will have to remove the sump to acertain any damage. Especially if the engine will not turn. So you cannot check valve timing.
You could try removing both cams and see if the engine will turn. This will then elimanate the top end being seized. I would add that the 2.3 16v does have a problem with timing chain jumping. But this does not usually lock up the engine. If you are not a competent technician. Find some body who is! Not a job for the faint hearted.

Sorry again for the incorrect info. (I was actually thinking about your vehicle, but had in mind the 300e 24v).

Good Luck
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
M

mikeA

Reaction score
2.3 16V oil pump

cheers andy,

I'll have to find some time to strip the front cover off to look at the damage. I've sourced another engine although the breakers haven't heard it running but although they wanted mine in exchange it was only for the ancillaries so I can keep my block and heads so will be able to find out the damage.
I am fairly good at the servicing  , done everything on my capri (inc a V8 conversion) , but I would like a manual for this engine, any ideas if I can get hold of one.

Thanks

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom