2 sets of warped discs??? Is this possible??

muzbaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2.1L
Hi, I'd like to find out if this is possible or unlikely.

My discs were worn and quite old, I had done 30k on them after buying the car.
05 C220 cdi estate. I replaced pads and discs with Pagid OEM parts via a well known parts supplier and fitted by a small garage rather than a main dealer and they were perfect,,,, for 1000 miles.
I do a lot of motorway driving and for the first 2-300 miles I wore the discs in gently, but by the time I had covered 900-1000miles the braking from 60-80mph caused vibration through the steering and i could feel it in the brake pedal,on a hill in neutral she would roll freely, but when I applied gentle brake pressure I could feel the car stop and go and could hear a slight shoosh shoosh shoosh noise each time the wheels rotated. Mechanic agreed discs warped.
Parts were replaced under returns policy and all was great again.

BUT,, it's happened again!!! Parts company are happy to honour another replacement of discs and pads or full refund and again I will have to claim fitting costs under warrenty.

The parts company say,, "we only see this MAYBE once a year" and that their parts would not be substandard to what Merc are supplied.

So,,
Is this possible?
What can cause this to happen or is it the disc materiel at fault?
and do I try again or buy from else where or change the make I am using?

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread

Regards
Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could happen but very rare, the hubs do need to be very clean when the disc are fitted. Hard to know what else to say

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Pagid stuff is normally OK ----if they are genuine and not counterfeit? I prefer ATE stuff myself. Other possibility might be bent sliding caliper pins causing unilateral application of the pads- were they worn unevenly?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I've been down this road before with aftermarket discs, one disc ran out of true with about 3/4000 miles. It's replacement lasted a similar time. In practice, they don't tend to warp, but due to cheaper materials, they don't wear evenly so you end up with a disc that varies in thickness - same result as a warped disc.
OE discs were fitted & I had no further problems. (I clocked the pattern discs when fitted & all was OK)

Just because an item is made by the same supplier that supplies OE, doesn't mean to say that it's made to the same spec.
Heinz make HP beans, but they different from Heinz Beanz ;) ;) ;) ;)

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Go and buy the brakes from mb. I'm sure your troubles will go away

OP
M

muzbaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2.1L
To answer some of the above,

The pads were evenly worn and an even marking across the discs on both sets can be seen, the hubs where the discs seat were, I'm told, cleaned, I guess the Mechanic meant wire brushed or similar, I went for the Pagid brand rather than the cheaper options and believe the goods not to be counterfeit as they are supplied by a large well known supplier of both aftermarket and OE parts, I understand that it wouldn't take much for a disc to become untrue by the tiniest amount for it to become a problem.
I also, have heard and believe that top quality parts will go to Merc and slightly substandard but within tolerances and of course safe and legal parts end up with the parts suppliers.
I'm starting to think, as suggested above that I may have to bite the bullet and pay dealer prices to deal with this irritating recurrence.
Thank you so far for all the posts.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
MB prices for discs and pads aren't bad at all. You may be pleasantly surprised!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a hard question as Mercedes have never made a brake disc, I am sure that firms like Pagid (TMD) make most for MB as TMD are one of the few companies that say who they supply, I have never bought disc from MB and again I have never had any problem with any disc that I have bought.

My local garage changes about 20 sets per week on all brands of car, they use Pagid and anything else that ECP or their local motor factor supplies, they do not get problems or anything much back in the way of comebacks.

We have been over this ground so many times, it would be stupid to say that Pagid disc are no good, they are the same as all the others that TMD make.

TMD employ 660,000 people in the world and silly talk if people blame their products. We do not know if the protective coating was removed, how clean were the stub axles, what were the pads like, were they contaminated with something that could cause a problem like excess heat.

When in Sweden I bought a pair of ventilated front disc for my V70R for £10 the pair, they are just fine.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Are you sure you don,t have a partially sticking caliper slider or the like, to have one set of faulty discs is bad luck but two sets and I would want to eliminate any and all possibilities.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Normally if new discs go on new pads are needed but I'd only buy OEM stuff as this elimates the risk of this happening.

Buy cheap, pay twice

How do you know that Padid disc are not OE to Mercedes, we know that the Pagid pads are OE to Mercedes.

You have never replaced any disc or pads to a car as of yet.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I'm sure we have this same complaint every month. Or at least very similar.

And it's usually the hub mating face which is blamed. It needs to be damn near surgically clean, not just wire brushed.

Certainly two consecutive disc sets displaying the same problem points to the problem being elsewhere.

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
How do you know that Padid disc are not OE to Mercedes, we know that the Pagid pads are OE to Mercedes.

You have never replaced any disc or pads to a car as of yet.

Who's we and how do they know? Pagid are aftermarket parts albeit OEM quality

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Who's we and how do they know? Pagid are aftermarket parts albeit OEM quality

If you were to read all the post you will see where some folk have removed the pads from the car that they bought new and they were marked "Pagid"

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I won,t dispute whether Pagid is an OEM supplier, as I have no doubt they are, But do we know that the Pagid discs/pads supplied by the dealer are of the same standard as what is supplied in the aftermarket?

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
If you buy a set of pagid pads from an aftermarket supplier, then buy a set from mb. Look at them and I'm sure you will notice the difference in the friction surfaces

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you buy a set of pagid pads from an aftermarket supplier, then buy a set from mb. Look at them and I'm sure you will notice the difference in the friction surfaces

And as the after market is some 20 times larger than the new car supplied parts I am sure that Pagid (TMD) go out of their way to provide an inferior part for after market use, just to upset every garage in the world that uses their products. when no one will use them anymore, then TMD can get rid of say 400,000 of their 660,000 workers and job done :D:D

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Is it not profitable for any business to have lines of varied quality?

Just as an example ....
Why is a hengst air cleaner on the aftermarket different to a genuine one?
Why do tyre manufacturers sell varied qualities of tyres in the same sizes?
Why would lemforder components bought on the aftermarket differ to those that are genuine?

Surely this is profitable? :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom