2000 SL320 (R129) v6 O/S Front Caliper

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Mercedes SL320 V6 R129
Afternoon all,

I need to get hold of an O/S front caliper (4 pot, not 2 pot) for my 2000 SL320 (R129). It is the V6 model, so has the 340mm brake discs as opposed to the standard 300mm discs.

For this reason, I've found it impossible so far to get hold of one. The garage where my car is have found one but it'll cost £450 (From MB in Germany)! Unfortunately I can't spend that much.

I'm desperate for this part, as my car is off the road and has been for a over a week now :(

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
BrakesInt.co.uk, 01706666999.
They do reman calipers. They supplied me the 4 pot for the C32AMG.
The did make a mistake with the first set they sent, but they had the right ones delivered the next day.
They are about half the price if you exchange the old unit.

***BUT PLEASE NOTE*** They will NOT come painted, or with any stickers that the original had.

It is a major down fall, but you could have it painted, or do it your self.

To replace the decal, I use a firm on Ebay.
I used them for the AMG decal, if you give them the height and width of the decal you have now, they will print to match. I can dig out the shop name if you want to go down this road.

It is worth getting a price just to see if the difference in price is worth the extra hassle.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is /was a late car in the spares section being broken up

OP
H

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BrakesInt.co.uk, 01706666999.
They do reman calipers. They supplied me the 4 pot for the C32AMG.
The did make a mistake with the first set they sent, but they had the right ones delivered the next day.
They are about half the price if you exchange the old unit.

***BUT PLEASE NOTE*** They will NOT come painted, or with any stickers that the original had.

It is a major down fall, but you could have it painted, or do it your self.

To replace the decal, I use a firm on Ebay.
I used them for the AMG decal, if you give them the height and width of the decal you have now, they will print to match. I can dig out the shop name if you want to go down this road.

It is worth getting a price just to see if the difference in price is worth the extra hassle.

Thanks for this info - really appreciate it.

What do you mean when you say "To replace the decal"? Is this a different part of the Caliper? Apologies for my novice knowledge!

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"What do you mean when you say "To replace the decal"? Is this a different part of the Caliper? Apologies for my novice knowledge! "

Its OK buddy, I should have made it clear :) The Decal is the sticker that reads 'Mercedes-Benz' or 'AMG' on the caliper.
I dont know much about the SL, other then they are stunning looking things! I am not even sure if your caliper has any stickers or writing on them?
Did you have any luck with the Spares section?

OP
H

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ahh, ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

The latest news is that I was hoping i'd be able to get a repair kit, but unfortunately they don't come with the pistons (which is where my problem lies). A new part from mercedes will cost £463inc VAT, so that's out of the question! No luck in the spares section, so i've started calling around breakers yards hoping to strike it lucky.

If i don't, i'm stuck!

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a quick look on the stie for your car and year, they have a picture of a 4 piston caliper, priced at £90 odd quid, including giving your caliper in exchange.

OP
H

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a quick look on the stie for your car and year, they have a picture of a 4 piston caliper, priced at £90 odd quid, including giving your caliper in exchange.

I actually found one at a breakers in Oldham, so hopefully when that comes it'll be the right one.

Thanks for looking - Where abouts did you see it?

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you found a replacement buddy.
I looked on the Brakesint web site.
Good luck with the caliper, hope your car gets back on the road soon.

OP
H

hamario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you found a replacement buddy.
I looked on the Brakesint web site.
Good luck with the caliper, hope your car gets back on the road soon.

Cheers mate - I'll hear from the mechanic today as to whether it's worked. I'll let you know.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom