2001 A208 juddering at 65-70 MPH

Samfdn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A208 CLK 2.0 Kompressor 2001
Recently purchased my first Mercedes and completely love it although there are a few teething problems I have encountered.

I first noticed that the car was bouncing at around 65-70mph through the steering wheel. Feels like it's coming from the front wheels. I have taken it to one garage who said it could be tracking. Did that and the problem persisted. Another garage said it could be tyre pressure so this was amended and still no avail.

As of recent I've noticed that when I have the steering wheel in full lock to the right hand side the car bounces almost like it's skidding on gravel No matter what the road surface or weather, however, it doesnt do that when the steering is locked in the other direction. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light.

It's a 2001 clk 200 komprossor. I know that the brake caliper on the right side is after market. Meaning I had to buy two different sets of brake pads. The brand on the right hand side was 'TEVES'.

When I changed the brakes I noticed uneven wear on the right hand side as well.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this and maybe help me in my journey.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Never heard of that brand of tyre and if different left to right you can have problems. I’d look at changing both front truths, getting them balanced and checking for any wear in the suspension and steering.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have different brands of calipers that's a no no as they will have different braking characteristics - especially if pads are different side to side.

As above change tyres (if you have same size front and rear swap them front to rear and see if the symptom changes. You may have an out of round tyre (especially if they're cheap Chinese Deathsliders).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes two different calipers is bad, sounds like somebody maybe fitted one from a breakers and didnt check the other side!

Wheel shake would indicate balance, out of round wheel, or bad suspension play.

OP
S

Samfdn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Took it for it's first MOT earlier today she passed with flying colours! Very happy lol

I then took it to be balanced again from a decent garage recommendation. He's going to look into it further at a later date as he couldn't fit me in today.
I've mentioned the stuff that's happening and he said it's most likely tracking so will have to wait for it to back.

I forgot to mention the caliper but will on the next visit.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out I really appreciate it and have much love for the community already!

I'll keep you all updated!

OP
S

Samfdn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do
Yes two different calipers is bad, sounds like somebody maybe fitted one from a breakers and didnt check the other side!

Wheel shake would indicate balance, out of round wheel, or bad suspension play.
Do you think it could be the caliper causing the bouncing? Also with the uneven wear of brake pads would that indicate that the disk isn't central? I'm thinking if it was off centre it would also cause some vibrations

OP
S

Samfdn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was the caliper brand not the tyre sorry for the confusion. I've heard different front tyres will throw the esp out or something like that. I'll give it a check now :)
Hello and welcome

Never heard of that brand of tyre and if different left to right you can have problems. I’d look at changing both front truths, getting them balanced and checking for any wear in the suspension and steering.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Do

Do you think it could be the caliper causing the bouncing? Also with the uneven wear of brake pads would that indicate that the disk isn't central? I'm thinking if it was off centre it would also cause some vibrations

I would even entertain looking at braking issues unless the right caliper is on there. What if the discs are different between the systems?

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
Alexanderfoti is bang on the money. Sounds like a combination of issues all of which point to indifferent servicing including scrapyard sourced bodges. A pair of exchange front calipers are relatively inexpensive and would be a good place to start. A complete set of replacement ball joints and anti roll bar bushes are again cheap. The wheel bounce is probably tyre related but do check out your shock absorbers.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
To be honest I'm a little concerned the MOT tester didn't pick up on the different calipers fitted to the same axle.

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
To be honest I'm a little concerned the MOT tester didn't pick up on the different calipers fitted to the same axle.
If the brake effort passes muster on the rollers then it's a pass. As ever an MOT is just a certificate to say a car has passed a number of statutory test levels and not a critique of just how bad a shed it is.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom