2001 clk will not start any ideas?

allforfun

Reaction score
my 2001 clk 2.3 kompressor will not start it has been fine since this morning went to start as normal and just a click theres plenty of juice in the battery as the doors still open all lights on dash are fine etc all i get is a click like the starter motor is jammed or gone ? is there anything else this could be bar the starter motor? perhaps a relay somewhere ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
could still be the battery. how did you get it going 1st thing? otherwise it will probably be a fault with the starter solenoid attached to the starter, or a bad earth connection from the engine to the body.

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
it has not run today at all was parked up yesterday and all was fine has never done this with the car before always started first time there still seems to be plenty in the battery have evn put a booster pack on and still just clicks once will not turn over

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thing to check now is that you have 12 volt on the small wire on the starter when you turn the key

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
i have just had another look and found the earth wire from body to engine apart so i have used a jump lead instead to ry and bridge the connection and it still will not start does this need this lead to start ? do you think if i rewire it this could be the fault ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The earth lead is important, and the connection needs to be good. Can you turn the key and move the gearshift in and out of P a few times

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
yes i can move the gearstick out of park etc would this l;ead may be the cause of it ? or would it start if this was broken ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if the earth lead was broken it would probably not start in the majority of cases. a jump lead usually fixes it from the engine (usually use a head bolt or similar GOOD contact) to the body, or even battery negative.

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
cant use battery its in the boot i will try refixing the earth lead and go from there as it long enoiugh when the cable tie is removed to reattach it .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do have a starter lock out switch fitted to the gear selector, as Pete and I said you do need a good ground on the engine. You do need to know if 12volt is on the starter

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well if you use a jump lead to bridge where the standard lead goes, that should solve that side of things. be careful re joining the old earth lead. they are designed to have an amount of slack in them to allow for engine movement on the mountings. if its tight, it will snap again. best bet would be replace it

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do have a starter lock out switch fitted to the gear selector, as Pete and I said you do need a good ground on the engine. You do need to know if 12volt is on the starter

would it still click if it was the lock out though Malcolm? my car for example does nothing at all if you try to start it in anything other than P (never tried N)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would it still click if it was the lock out though Malcolm? my car for example does nothing at all if you try to start it in anything other than P (never tried N)

You can hear a click as it passes through N and P, but that is no indication that the switch is ok, and N and P are the only ones that it will start in

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
i think its a tow to a garage job as i cannot get to the starter wiring i have just fixed the earth lead and used a jump lead and still nothing its just starange that normally with a starter fault it builds up to breaking down this has just stopped all together

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you could try tapping the starter with a hammer as someone tries to start the car. its been known to work before!

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
if i could get under the car to that i would its just impossible where it is to tap the starter i tried from the back but you cannot really get a swing on it to tap it its so close to the road that its impossible to get under and its on a slope so cannot be jacked doing my head in now as i needed it for the weekend

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The easy way to get to the starter is to remove the nearside wheel arch

OP
A

allforfun

Reaction score
ive just looked and the wheel arch plastic is nowhere near where the starter is its all steel part of the car so taking this plastic of will not make a differance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that the starter on a 203 is driven from the front SAM,,these are always failing, the fault could well be here

To take the starter off if it an exhaust off job

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom