2001 slk 230 kompressor 'start error'

dave123

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk 230/2001/230 kompressor
I have had my 2001 slk 230 kompressor in storage over the winter and when i have come to use it I have put in a fully charged battery and get the 'start error' message displayed on the dash when i try to start it.

The key has had the batteries replaced and it is still able to operate the central locking, but when the ignition gets to the point where it would usually activate the starter, nothing happens. The car won't even turn over and just displays 'start error' on the dash.

I have tried the following things so far, all of which have done nothing:

Changed the starter motor
Checked the k40 relay board which looked ok
Checked all the electrical connections under the dash and made sure they were all seated correctly
Changed the batteries in the key fob
Checked all the fuses

After browsing this forum for a while, am I right in thinking that it may be a problem with the DAS system? ie the ECU is no longer recognising the code from the key?

I'm really out of ideas now as to what the problem could be, so any suggestions or potential fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

JLH GREEN

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230 Compressor
CAR WILL NOT START SLK 230 Compressor

Hi Dave....Much the same problem...I have taken the car into the Main Dealer to rectify the fault...luckily it started and drove there.....They said there were no faults....it drove back ok. This am the same problem....All the dash light come on...BUT engine will not even turn over...the cooling fan starts up also! The car starts sometimes, then stops in the middle of being driven....I have orederd a replacement ECU unit but don't know if this the fault....Did you solve the problem with the KEY...Was it the ECU not recognizing the key....Big problem for me....Mercedes should not charge such a cost not finding the fault! Very unprofessional in my view!
Would be pleased to hear your reply.
Regards,
John

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom