2002 C240 will not start

cdrichardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S550
Hello I bought a 2002 C240 for my daughter last year and I recently changed out the CPS and the fuel pumps within the last 3 months. The car is still not running and will not start the car smells of gas fumes and loses power or just shuts off completely. What could be the problem? I took the car back to the mechanic who replaced the pumps and he said that it was the SAM I am not convinced because this guy has burned me twice already with the pumps not being done correctly. I am so upset about it that I could scream. Any suggestions?:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am not sure on this, could it be the MAF, it could be worth unplugging it and see if the car runs better

OP
C

cdrichardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S550
2002 C240

Thank you so much for that recommendation, is that a pricey part to replace? And where is the MAF?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Even if the MAF had failed the engine would still start and idle albeit roughly. You man says its the SAM, on what basis? The SAM just provides power to the pumps, not regulate the pressure, so if the pumps are priming and working his diagnosis is incorrect.

Basics first as always, fuel pressure. Has it been checked? Check it at the rail and also check it at the filter. My guess would be the pressure regulator in the filter has failed, a common fault causing non start issues that is often over looked by many.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the regulator when bad can cause lots of cranking, but the car would still start in my case.

In the case of the MAF, I have had one so bad that sure it would start, gut if you touched the throttle it stalled

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom