2002 e220 cdi battery protection, red lights everywhere, car shutdown

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
Hi,
This wonderful car with 124k on the clock had the battery protection error come up about 6 weeks ago - no ancillary power in the car. 1st garage said "battery" and replaced the secondary battery in the engine compartment. Error still came back. Returned the car, they said no fault found. Took it to another garage who said "wrong battery" so I bought a genuine Mercedes front battery and they fitted it. Exactly the same....then it got worse. Drove to Wales today and the display flashed red with "Defective brakes". Pulled in, switched off, car was dead. After a few minutes, it came back to life and the mileometer had reset, radio pre-sets gone, clock set to midday. EBS warning message. Carried on for about 60 miles and the "battery protection" flashed (as it always does now), then the defective brakes, then a new bright red "battery/alternator" error. Pulled in again, switched off, waited 5, off again. Eventually the car simply stopped altogether at some traffic lights on the embankment in London causing a traffic jam. AA came, checked the front battery, rear battery and the current feeds and showed me that both batteries were working perfectly as was the alternator. Car started, was about 5 miles to go and the "defective brakes" and "battery/alternator" flashed and beeped all the way.
Does anyone know of a decent auto electrician preferably within a short drive of Bermondsey, SE1, London or generally in the South London area? Or have any idea what this could be? To date, this has cost me some £250 and the car is worth about £1000. I'd prefer to get it fixed if I p/x it or something as it's a bit broken.....Help!!!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
You need to get it to a MB independent and have the car put on a Star session.

Could be anything from a SAM unit to a bad earth.

I was working in Raymouth Rd on a couple of Mercs last week wont be back there till mid October.
:(

OP
M

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
Thanks for the advice. Could I bring the car to you?

OP
M

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
Not sure if my reply went anywhere....I need to get the car either fixed or amothering car by 27th September as going to be travelling a lot after then. I can bring the car to you if that is possible

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Hi
Not sure if you can read PM's yet due to your low post count but check anyway :)

OP
M

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
Hi
Not sure if you can read PM's yet due to your low post count but check anyway :)
Hi. Been a bit ill.....managed to look up an old thread and found out that if I disconnect both batteries, leave the car for 10 minutes, connect the front one, then the rear one....and hey presto. the problem has gone away!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom