2003 CLK 270 CDI Starting problem advice

T

taziz2

Hi,

Im having some starting issues with my 2003 270 cdi CLK (Automatic) and was wondering whether anyone may have some idea as to what could be wrong.

- The length of time it takes to start can vary drastically
- It always turns though
- Usually (surprisingly) on a cold start (or when the cars been off for a while) it starts almost immediately, on the first attempt
- However subsequent starts get increasingly difficult, and sometimes it can take a number of attempts, and when it does start it can mean keeping the key turned for quite a while. Sometimes it wont start even after lots of attempts
- It always starts with Easy Start straight away
- When attempting to start the car, the rev counter sometimes fluctuates strangely (just jumps up and down...ranging from 0-to the very low numbers)
- The car has got very high mileage (180k+) (I acknowledge im due an upgrade very soon! :) )

My mechanic suspects it might be something to do with the fuel pump sensor (?)...and as a first attempt has tried to repair it with a repair kit of some sort (Im not convinced this has made any difference)

If anyone has any ideas, i would be very grateful!

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
A leak off test is the first move........Checking the fuel pipe "O" rings is the 2nd........

OP
T

taziz2

Hi,

Many thanks, will run that past the mechanic!

Please excuse my lack of knowledge :Oops: but - where would the o rings be, and also could you please tell me a little more about what the leak off test entails?

OP
T

taziz2

Sorry you said fuel pipe 'O' rings! :)

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Leak off test is the amount of fuel being returned by the injector to the tank. pipes clip into the where the leak off pipe clips. Its a simple test.

Last edited:
OP
T

taziz2

Hi,

I spoke to the mechanic earlier today, and he told me that they had done a leak off test and it seemed fine...and he also reminded me that we had the fuel pipes changed just a few months ago.

Any other ideas? Is it still likely to be the 'o' rings?

Thanks again

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Has the leak off test performed also with warm engine? And injector correction values too, both cold and warm?

If not injector, then the pressure regulator valve or o-rings of the valve (was that 'the kit' which was changed?), pressure sensor and wiring, hp pump...

Rail pressure should be investigated, if ok problem is not fuel delivery problem.

OP
T

taziz2

Thanks, ill take those points to the garage.

However, just to confirm, does that fact that it always starts immediately, confirm whether it definitely is a fuel problem or not necessarily?

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
Now, my car is doing exactly the same as of today and I have also been pointed in the direction of the crankshaft sensor as this may be rapidly failing. Another avenue to explore! :(

hammyharrison

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
I had this problem on my ML. I refurbed all injectors, changed the O rings on the fuel pipes, new cam and crank sensors and have been basicly looking for the problem for 2 years. Last week I noticed in the cold snap that there was a dribble of fuel coming from the pump so took it off. After opening the pump up it was clear the rubber rings were past their best so I decided to refurbish the whole pump ( at a cost of £2.30 ) myself. Put the pump back on and PRESTO she starts first time every time. I would go for the pump if I was you. I phoned the Bosch injector place in Wrexham who wanted the best part of £200 pound for the refurb of the pump. So I told him I would have a blast myself " Oh but you need bench presses for it " ...... It was a piece of cake.

antony38

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 CDI 2003
Hi, Could you tell me which part have you had change at a cost of £2.30 ?and also could you tell me where did you get that part?
I having the same problem whit my CLK270 cdi :mad:
Believe me it is embarrassing to start Mercedes all the time whit easy star :Oops:
Please help............

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom