2003 e class w211 water leaking

tuc

Reaction score
parked car out side work yesterday air con had been running alot due to the nice weather !!! but found water lyin under neath car... looked under it to see where it was coming from and appeared to be leaking from belly pan middle section of the car.... is this normal ???? no coolant loose at all have been checking that non stop these past few days due to other problems... only have this car and starting to worry as to just wot ive bought... any opions would be greatful...
main radiator fan not coming on at coolant temp 100 c was at mb dealer on star and mech brought me into work shop to show me that fan was working on star diag....showed me how the fan works in steps. why would it work on star and not when engine temp 100 c ??? my heads totally pickled... stressed to the hilt !!!!!

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Hello,
I expect the water underneath was merely condensation from the air conditioning. All air conditioning systems do this.

I drive a lorry with a refrigerated trailer,essentially the biggest road going air conditioning system you will see.
The water drains from this in gallons,the hotter the day,the more the water,to the alarm of some passers by who think it's diesel running off the top of the fuel tanks.

Most cars have covers underneath,these days and where a leak falls from underneath is no longer an indication of where it started.

A simple test,next time you see this water,put your fingers in it and rub them together.

If it's condensation,they will be just wet,if it's coolant(it won't be) it will be wet and slimy.
Sniff your fingers(!!),condensation will smell of nothing,coolant has a very distinct smell.

As to the coolant fan,unless the temperature gauge goes into the red section,I would not worry unduly,the idea of a pressurised system is to allow the coolant's boiling point to be above 100 C.

It doesn't sound as if there is anything wrong with your car,I suggest you relax and enjoy getting used to it.

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
It is worth turning the aircon off a few minutes before you park so that the evaporator can dry out. This will stop the water beneath the car but more importantly it will help to prevent the evaporator rotting behind the dashboard. This is a hugely expensive repair as the whole dash has to be removed.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom