2004 SL55 SRS Warning Light - Seatbelt Drive to Workshop

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
On collecting the SL55 after having the Ding removed in the rear quarter, caused when I reversed the Defender into it, the above message appeared.

As I was still at the dealership, I immediately reversed the car into the workshop (carefully) and a technician kindly had a quick look at it. According to the tech the diagnostics were reading "passenger side seatbelt fault". Possibly in seatbelt buckle. So he reset the codes, and the fault message immediately re-appeared. So I have booked the car in for it to be looked at.

So am I in for a Big Bill ? Is there an ECU somewhere that has been fried by the body shop ? Or is it just a new buckle needed ? I have had a look under the seat, and all the connections appear to be OK.

The timing is weird, as it has never done this before.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Mark, I can't help with your immediate problem , but if I remember correctly you live in Wimborne?

I was recently pointed to an independant Mercedes tech who has a business in Corfe Mullen. I needed an oil service so to save the long run up to MBS this time I decided to try this guy out. I was impressed. Not only are his labour rates very keen (£48 per hr inc VAT) but he gave the car a full (free) Star check with printout and recoded a door controller I had fitted so the master switch for operating the passenger window worked again. For a first time customer he seems to go out of his way to secure future business.

What I'm saying is, give this guy a go. He is ex Poole main dealer and knows his stuff. Works from home in a well appointed workshop with a single hoist. Check out his website.

http://www.hamiltonautotech.co.uk/index.php

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Inclined towards a buckle issue but as above, worth getting another check

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I had this happen when I put the passenger seat as far forward and high as it would go. The fault came up as the seat belt. If I recall it had disturbed a yellow connector under the seat. Maybe they did the same when repairing your car.

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thought I should post up a resolution to the above. The car has now been free of the dreaded SRS light for a month or more, so I believe it is fixed.

Star diagnostics indicated a passenger seatbelt buckle fault, so I bought a new passenger seatbelt buckle for £80 from MB. Red ones to match my interior are on back order, so I had to wait a week or two, no problem.

Seatbelt buckle arrived and I fitted it myself. This is a seat out job. Time approx. 45 minutes ish ?

Initially no joy, the SRS light still came on and stayed on every time I started the car, so I took it into MB for a code re-set. I took apart the old buckle out of curiosity, and there are some tiny diodes and resistors in there.

MB re-set the codes, and told me they could not get the light to go out, they advised possibly a new SRS module was required, which is a dash out job. I asked for a quote, and went to collect the car from the dealership. On starting the car, the SRS light came on and then went out after a few seconds, as it is supposed to. MB wanted to know whether I needed the car looking at again, so I said "no, let's see if it comes on again", and ever since then it has been OK.

I do wonder if it may have just taken it a little while to "settle down" after the codes were re-set. Who knows.

NB on the 230, a dash warning message comes on, something like "Seatbelt warning - visit workshop". This no longer comes on either .

So after a month or so, I think I am in the clear.

Total cost of repair - diagnostics and faffing about £100, seatbelt part £80, total cost £180.

Hope the above information helps someone, and adds to the collective knowledge on this subject.

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
That's a nice resolution to what sounded like a very expensive repair otherwise. I wonder how many hours MB would quote on that job, 10?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
There are modified yellow connectors for this fault, glad you got it sorted tho.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
diodes and resisters in seat buckles ! is there no gettin away from this stuff ?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom