2008 E300 avantgarde S

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Hello MB owners. It's been a long time since I've dropped in, you know, life happens and all that.
Anyway, I happen to be in Japan at the moment, have been for a while actually. So I'll get to the point. I'm considering buying this car :-

http://s.kakaku.com/kuruma/used/item/13780059/ (if you open in chrome it'll auto translate.

I was wondering if some of the more knowledgeable people could give me a quick opinion on this particular model.

From the research I've already done I've gathered that it's advisable to go for a post-2006 model of the E-class, as there seems to have been a considerably bad quality period for Mercedes between 2002-2006.
Anyway any thoughts on this particular model would be greatly appreciated. And what does the 'S' mean?

Thanks.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Never mind, I've decided against that model. I'm going for the w212 now. Today I test drove that car in the advertisement. It's strange, I've always loved the E-Class, & even though that car is a 2008 model, I expected it to be a significantly better ride than my old 1998 E-Class and other slightly older E-Class I've driven, & I didn't feel that it was, and I'm sure it wasn't that anything was wrong with the car, it just didn't feel good to me, & didn't feel like it had enough power, which surprised me as I thought an E-300 would have a bit of oomph!
Since I've been in Japan I've mostly been driving an A170 elegance, & it's actually a ****** good car to run around in. It's smooth, solid & reliable. But I'd really been looking forward to getting back in an E-Class again.

So anyway, I've decided to spend a bit more and get a w212, pre-facelift model. From what I've read (a lot) it seems that's a safer, more sensible choice. It seems that Mercedes really up'd their game again with the w212. I thought I didn't really like the design of it, but when I went to test drive that 2008 w211 today, there was also a 2009 E-350 avantgarde w212 there, & it looks so much prettier & more......adult (I can't explain that thought) in my view. It had a really imposing style to it, & I'm all set on that model now.

Anyway, although nobody answered my post, thanks to those that read it. I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone might have on the w212 (pre-facelift).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are a lovely car and no complaints at all, do try and get leather over the artico, it last much better.

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
Just for info. The one you show appears to be the equivalent of a sport model in the Uk. It has the AMG body kit, large wheels and the flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Here these would have lowered and stiffened suspension in comparison the Elegance and Avantgarde models. So, this one will ride firmer than many. If you want real comfort look for one with airmatic suspension - I have one and it is so comfortable:D

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
They are a lovely car and no complaints at all, do try and get leather over the artico, it last much better.
Thank you, I certainly will. Real leather is the only acceptable option for me.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Just for info. The one you show appears to be the equivalent of a sport model in the Uk. It has the AMG body kit, large wheels and the flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Here these would have lowered and stiffened suspension in comparison the Elegance and Avantgarde models. So, this one will ride firmer than many. If you want real comfort look for one with airmatic suspension - I have one and it is so comfortable:D
Yes, I think you're right. It did look very sporty & had the AMG wheels. It also felt a bit cramped in the drivers seat, it didn't feel as spacious as older E-Class. It didn't feel terrible to drive, it just didn't have the soft, silent power I like to get from a Mercedes. The most surprising thing to me was the lack of power when I put my foot down, it seemed like my foot had to make too much effort to get it going, which is not at all what I want.

I'm going back to test drive this one in the next few days:-

http://s.kakaku.com/kuruma/used/item/13267765/

I think that'll give me a little more of what I want.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom