2009 Sprinter Massive water leak

Gateside Chris

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter
Hello all.

Firstly I have to admit I am a mechanic and today I was scratching my head!

A new customer who has a fleet of luton vans (mostly Trans**s) also has a Sprinter.
Never touched the van before today, however it appears on the end of a rope and is 'overheating'....huh.

Put water in it and it is pouring and I mean pouring out of the engine halfway along the passengers side of the van up near the top.
However there is so much pipework and plumbing in there even with a good torch and a small mirror on a stick I couldn't see where is was pouring out of.

Brain wave....call the local MB commercial dealer and ask one of the mechanics.......foreman there told me its a coolant housing and the first one he did took him 13 hours and now he can do one in 6. However they only do them on warranty repairs. He also said the part costs £14.

Now I have hunted high and low on Google and can find nothing about this.

Has anyone any idea what the fault is and if the MB guy is winding me up?

Thanks all

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
on a 651 engine There is a coolant manifold that also forms part of the fuel filter holder. The seal that connects this to the head can leak. It is not a good job but only takes a couple of hours. remove the EGR cooler first so you can see the fixing bolts and replace the housing not just the seal. The plastic inlet manifold swelling under boost causes them to leak and a new housing allows for this movement.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom