200TE power steering

Mousey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
200TE
Hi

First post here, and hopefully the last one I'll make with a 'what's wrong with my car' question.

I have a '92 200TE with self-levelling suspension. I've had the car about a year and everything has been ok. A few weeks ago the steering/suspension just felt plain wrong, so I checked the power steering fluid level (low) and popped into a local independent garage who topped it up to the right level (about half-way up the reservoir).

Yesterday I noticed a puddle of oil underneath the car, checked under the bonnet and the fluid is right at the top of the reservoir and has obviously overflowed. It's the same situation this morning, which is a little concerning. I'm aware that the level will rise slightly during use, but it's always returned to the lower level.

It's tempting to drain some fluid to get it back to the correct level, but I guess this won't solve the problem.

Any clues?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, there is a post on the DIY section that is worth reading, some cars have a dual pump and some a single for doing these things

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
is it the self leveling resevoir or the PS over flowing?

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
To me, this sounds like Nitrogen escaping from the spheres, and displacing the oil.

What is the rear suspension doing? Is it high and bouncy? When all the Nitrogen has finally escaped, I would expect the suspension to become very hard.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
As above.

Thats the SL resevoir. The sphere are around £50 each plus fitting. The pipes that connect to the spheres are often corroded. Heat and gentle undoing is needed.

Top Bottom