2010 C220 CDI versus BMW 320d

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would rule out the BMW on the run flat tyres alone .. these are an abomination in this day and age..
The reason you dont see many BMWs as taxis is because the rear door openings were designed to be functional instead of practical..to deter Taxi drivers in order to keep the car exclusive

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I am in the market for a new car. I have had my current BMW 325i SE Touring for 9 years (from new) without any problems. I love it but the ex-husband (decent sort) has offered to buy me a brand new 2010 car, either a C Class C220 Estate Elegance Auto or a MW 320d Touring Auto. Despite the fondness for my current car, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

I live in Central London. The car has only been used for the school run, supermarket shopping and a one off trip to Southern France. My current milage on my Y reg car is 53k. My on-board computer tells me that I average about 12 miles to the gallon! Saying that I do like driving and it took me a while to get used to the auto as I felt I had lost contact with the road.

The children are now in their teens, with one at boarding school (the school run has become longer but less regular!). I need an estate car which will see me through the years at university and beyond. I forsee having this next car for a good ten years (this is the last time the ex will buy me one).

I want a diesel automatic with leather seats, metallic paint, parking beepers and xenon lights. The marginal difference in total purchase price is unimportant but the long term reliability is.

:)

For anyone to suggest that you need a 150 mph, 3 litre, Mercedes to do the school run and other trips mainly in central London, is a bit like suggesting that someone with a mouse problem should get a high velocity rifle.

A 220cdi will have ample power and the C220cdi has a combined mpg of a pretty remarkable 48.7 miles per gallon. The 3 litre is nearer 41 mpg and costs a bucket of cash more for no real gain for the uses you have in mind. Higher fuel bills, higher VED, higher everything.

Your ex husbands suggestions are perfect for your needs. Avoid Sport as he suggests and go for Elegance. Smaller wheels have more tyre and give a better ride. The deeper tyres also protect the alloys when parking. Sport suspension doesn't really suit an estate. Elegance has the 'comfort' suspension, which absorbs all the potholes, ridges and bumps of UK roads far better that a Sports set-up. And you get the proper MB 3 pointed star on the bonnet, where it should be on saloons. Tasty.

MB or BMW? Difficult. Both are good. The MB is roomier and the engines last and last. The 3 series are everywhere; the MB that bit more exclusive. The ride on the MB is much nicer on UK roads.

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently BMW 325i SE Touring - looking to replace with C220 CDI Estate Elegance
A 220cdi will have ample power and the C220cdi has a combined mpg of a pretty remarkable 48.7 miles per gallon. The 3 litre is nearer 41 mpg and costs a bucket of cash more for no real gain for the uses you have in mind. Higher fuel bills, higher VED, higher everything.

Very helpful post - probably because it mirrors what I have been thinking! I agree with you on engine size. I have a generous ex-husband when it comes to a capital gift but I still have to run the thing on traditional maintenance payments!

I would appreciate more room in the back and was looking at an E Class just now as I was walking the dogs (fortunately I didn't get stopped for suspected breaking and entering!) I just think the boot makes it too big for me; London parking and all that. The days of bikes and buggies are over. I have University runs to look forward to, but hey, at least they don't have stereos any more and an iPod fits in a pocket!

I will persevere with my C220 project and try not to get swayed by the C250!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Very helpful post - probably because it mirrors what I have been thinking! I agree with you on engine size. I have a generous ex-husband when it comes to a capital gift but I still have to run the thing on traditional maintenance payments!

I will persevere with my C220 project and try not to get swayed by the C250!

Don't rule out the 250cdi. It has the same fuel economy, doesn't cost much more to run or to buy, and is a great drive.

jackwall5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 Cdi Automatic
I bought at the other end of the scale .... so kinda looking in reverse to you.

I bought a nearly 9 year old W203 C220 cdi with 99 odd thousand miles on the clock.

The orignial watch list included a Volvo S80, a Mondeo, [previous model], VW and in particular a 330d BMW [6 years and 86K]. All were younger cars than the MB.

In the end game, the C220 cdi and an BMW 330d went head to head in my head. The others fell off the list for various reasons but basically because they could not convince me of their build quality as they grew much older.

The BMW was 6 years old, slightly less milage and rightly commanded a little more on the price front. All was in order history wise. Both were spec'd to satisfaction. [Austrian car prices differ greatly from UK so talking numbers is pointless.]

My decision came down to which car would hold up better over the next 5 years .... and this particular MB won that round.

Up to this point, I have to say it was a dead heat but taking into account these two actual cars, which I had driven, eyed diligently and checked and checked, the 9 year old MB was the better car and for what it's worth, I'm happier driving it.

Hope this helps

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I thought everyone in London drove SUVs to cope with the speedbumps and potholes?

The new Honda CRV diesel auto would fit all the OPs requirements.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDi W204 :)
C220CDI Estate vs. BMW320D Estate.....

Both very good cars, and having just had a similar choice myself (saloon not estate, and manual, I hate auto's) I will sum up my thoughts.

BMW, fantastically refined 2.0D engine, it feels more like a petrol engine than any other diesel I have driven. Coming from a 325 petrol, it will be more like what your used to.
SE spec on BMW gives a lot of extras, and good value for money. BMW at the moment are offering a bonus 'upgrade' selection list free of charge. Means you can get leather or sat nav, etc for gratis. BMW offer a service package, which if you can convince ex hubby to include, means almost free motoring for a few years. Don't underestimate how valuable that is, and MB do not offer anything like this. BMW fuel economy is fantastic, and BM is def. the drivers car out of the two. Personally I think the interior of the BM is nicer, feels more expensive, but that is subjective.

Merc C220CDi, Engine feels like a diesel, is more gruff, but also has more shove than the BM at low revs (Don't believe when people say this is a tried and tested engine as the new OM651 is completely new). Merc is the more accomplished motorway cruiser, due to the extra low end shove, less edgy steering, and the compliant ride. Merc 'feels' like the bigger car, both inside and out. For me is more comfortable than the BM, but that is subjective, the BM might be fine for you. Merc comes standard with electric seat adjust, BM relies on manual, jump and adjust type mechanism, annoying. Watch out for Elegance standard leather...it is not real leather. Lasts longer than leather, looks like leather, but feels/smells unlike leather, real leather is an upgrade. Servicing and running costs of the MB will be better, as it doesn't have expensive run flat tyres like BM. Insurance will be cheaper than BM. Don't be too concerned about the daft MB controls (one stalk does all, and foot-handbrake), you will get used to them.

On your spec, I am not sure about the Xenon light option, I think it is very expensive for what gains? and stick with the C220, the 250 is more money for a small amount of increased perfomance (Fuel economy, insurance, etc). If you want more power, jump straight up to the 350CDi.

Also, conveneince and friendliness of your local dealer is important in the choice.

Good luck, you can't really go wrong with either car, both good. Me being in your shoes, if I could get the BMW service package included, no brainer, BMW all the way. If not, then they are a close call, and test drives will tell you which is the best car for you. Make sure you get to drive on a motorway.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Servicing and running costs of the MB will be better,

BMW has a 5 year/60K servicing package that costs about the same as one service for the Mercedes. Also the Mercedes is now on annual servicing whereas BMW are still on variable.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rory, I did mention the BMW service package, but as that is an option, and it costs a fair bit more than one MB service (unless it is a whopper).

I was under the impression BMW had the same mileage/annual service schedules. Certainly RF tyres make BM's expensive in comparison.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rory, I did mention the BMW service package, but as that is an option, and it costs a fair bit more than one MB service (unless it is a whopper).
Nope - BMW Service Inclusive is £300 for 5yrs/60K. In London that's very slightly more than an MB dealer will charge for the most basic A service.
I was under the impression BMW had the same mileage/annual service schedules. Certainly RF tyres make BM's expensive in comparison.
BMW is on variable intervals whereas MB changed away from them about 3 yrs ago to fixed annual servicing.

So compared to BMW's £300, a Mercedes would cost in the region of £1800 for basic servicing for the same period. Perhaps even more using London dealers.

I'm not familiar with the price of RunFlat's but a quick search of a random size shows them to be at the upper end of the price range for that size - about the same price as Michelin Primacy HP's which a lot of MB owners use.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, BMW wanted something like £1300 for the service plan when I asked them in late June. This was for a 320D SE. Perhaps they offer the servicing plan for less in the last month or so? or have a reduced coverage plan?

As for BMW variable service intervals, it is good for some owners, not so good for others. For example the Merc service is 15,500miles or 365 days, whichever sooner. The BMW service could be 20,000miles for the motorway sales rep, or 8,000 for a school run mobile. I would imagine a London car will need more regular servicing based on this concept.

As for tyres, it isn't really fair comparing top of the price range conventional tyres with average RFT, and saying they cost about the same. My MB came new with Dunlop Sport 01, which are not a premium tyre. The OP would get similar if not exactly the same on their MB. It is also true that RFT do not last as long as conventional tyres mileage wise.

I got my info from CAP (the company which analyses cost of ownership for many of the big lease companies) which suggest BMW as being marginally more costly to run than MB for this class of car, although my mileage was far higher than the OP, so may differ. Other than that it is down to individual driving habits/conditions.

Last edited:

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
In all honesty I agree with some of the comments above, you don't need a 320cdi or a 350cdi for Central London to taxi the kids. Hawk is absolutely right.

I can't comment on the BMW but my Dad has a W204 C-Class Saloon. The drive is very smooth, 5 speed Auto is a great gearbox and that car has a quality feel to it. I'd go for the Merc but then again I am a Mercedes fan!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, BMW wanted something like £1300 for the service plan when I asked them in late June. This was for a 320D SE. Perhaps they offer the servicing plan for less in the last month or so? or have a reduced coverage plan?

It's been £300 for some time but you have to take it at the time of purchase when the car is new. Without looking it up, the higher price is if the plan is taken on a car that isn't new.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmm, no this was on a brand new car. Perhaps they have different plans and the one I was offered was more comprehensive, parts included?

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently BMW 325i SE Touring - looking to replace with C220 CDI Estate Elegance
My decision came down to which car would hold up better over the next 5 years .... and this particular MB won that round.

Very helpful comment- so important to see what the product is like in the future... I chose my children's schools by checking out the top year children!

Thank you.:)

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
NISFAN - many thanks for sharing your thoughts - very clear. I agree about the xenon lights - £750 is a huge amount - I have chucked those from my specs.

The £250 plan offered by BMW for 5 years of servicing is a huge draw.....

I still need to drive the C220cdi _ wish Chelsea would hurry up and find me one!

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK - confused - is the £250 BMW are offering as the 5 year/60k miles service plan £250 each service or £250 for the whole 5 years?

I assumed it was for the whole five years which was pulling me in the BM direction (for very obvious reasons!)

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just looked up the BMW web site, and they do offer two tiers of service packages, one for £300, all standard servicing for 5 years, which is the bargain of the century, and then there is the plus service plan (the one they offered me) which is £1295 again for 5 years, but covers all parts including things like clutch plates, brake discs and pads, etc. Probably more value for money for the high miler, but if you can get that thrown in makes for very cheap motoring.

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sure, the way it is worded on the website is £250 for 5 years and a higher figure if you include new break pads etc.

Maybe this is their way of compenstating for the expensive runflats. I have had to replace the tyres regularly - at least two every service - and often nothing to do with tread but to do with pot holes (or careless/tricky London kerbside parking!)

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Nisfan - we are overtaking each other!

Top Bottom