2010 C220 CDI versus BMW 320d

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDi W204 :)
Can't believe they cant get you a C220 to drive, or is it you want to drive an estate C220 only?

A test drive in the saloon should give you the general driving feel of the 220 engine and auto box. As that is a bread and butter model, I would be surprised if the dealer didn't have one. Otherwise call up other dealers and ask them, you won't have to travel far to find one.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Run flats have their advantages, but you do pay for them. Being able to drive to the next junction on a motorway for example. I advise my other half to drive on a non run flat in that situation anyway, sure it knackers the tyre, but what price for the safety.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Run flats have their advantages, but you do pay for them. Being able to drive to the next junction on a motorway for example. I advise my other half to drive on a non run flat in that situation anyway, sure it knackers the tyre, but what price for the safety.

And what do you do when you get a damaged runflat at night and cant drive on it? At least the mean spacesaver serves some purpose. Full size spare must surely always be the answer.

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My preference is a non run flat, but I see why the likes of BMW have adopted them. Having a tyre damaged beyond use is a rare occurance, and perhaps treated same way as an accident. i.e. an AA job.

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
what is wrong with your existing car that your ex thinks you need a new car?

Last edited:

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
My preference is a non run flat, but I see why the likes of BMW have adopted them. Having a tyre damaged beyond use is a rare occurance, and perhaps treated same way as an accident. i.e. an AA job.

my other half had them on a mini - (nowhere big enough to store a spare wheel anyway)
two big downsides - the ride is extremely hard as the sidewalls don't flex like a normal tyre & cost - especially so when a fairly new tyre had to be scrapped because of a puncture that would have cost a few quid to repair in a normal tyre
clever deal by BMW and their offshoots who no doubt get the tyres for next to nothing from manufacturers who otherwise would probably get few takers, but now have guaranteed repeat business

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Hmmm, no this was on a brand new car. Perhaps they have different plans and the one I was offered was more comprehensive, parts included?

That would be Service Inclusive Plus - covers wear and tear items such as pads & disks. Probably not worth it unless you're really heavy on such things as you'd have to go through 2 sets to make it worthwhile, and that's most unlikely.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hmmm, no this was on a brand new car. Perhaps they have different plans and the one I was offered was more comprehensive, parts included?

Some months they offer it; some months they don't. Marketing thing. But they have lousy finance plans -like 9.8% apr minimum compared with MB's 5.8%. Quite hard to compare like with like until you sit down and try to do a real deal.

The standard run flat tyres give a horrid ride on the BMW IMO. And the suspension is really too firm for UK roads. I didn't think the interior was as good as MB but it is all a matter of personal taste I guess.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some months they offer it; some months they don't. Marketing thing.

Nope, it's been continuously available for some time now. BMW have been offering it on MINI since it came out. Many manufacturers do this now - VW, Honda and Mitsubishi that I'm aware of and there are probably others. I've noticed Audi are doing it on the A1.

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently BMW 325i SE Touring - looking to replace with C220 CDI Estate Elegance
Answering Missy D

what is wrong with your existing car that your ex thinks you need a new car?

Nothing at all - just boring divorcee stuff I am afraid. :)

Boogs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 (60) C200 Exec SE Est 2010(60) Lotus Evora Fully Loaded
I am intrigued by the mpg you are getting on your current car and wonder wether you may actually be better off going Petrol.

I am still waiting for my C200 (long story) and in the meantime we have a 2007 Saab 93 Diesel and a 2000 CLK 230. Diesels only really get their economy once thay are fully warmed up. My wife does a lot of short journeys and seems to have a driving style that really decimates the fuel economy on a diesel. We actually find it more economical for her to drive the CLK (and it that isn't just an excuse to get the roof down in the current good weather :wink:)

Just a thought, although appreciate you don't have to fund the up front additional cost..

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently BMW 325i SE Touring - looking to replace with C220 CDI Estate Elegance
Test Drive

Can't believe they cant get you a C220 to drive, or is it you want to drive an estate C220 only?

A test drive in the saloon should give you the general driving feel of the 220 engine and auto box. As that is a bread and butter model, I would be surprised if the dealer didn't have one. Otherwise call up other dealers and ask them, you won't have to travel far to find one.

Spoke to the Chelsea MB sales guy again today - he hasn't been able to find a C220 cdi in either estate or saloon. I quoted NISFAN "But I thought they were your bread and butter model" (I wanted to sound like a pro!) and he said "That is the problem, because Sterling is so weak against the Euro the Irish are buying them up. There are none around. We are not sure we can fill our September 1st orders." In our last call I thought he said he had three with my specs available on a 1st September plate - maybe he meant the C250 cdi. He is pushing it.

I am booked into test drive a C250 cdi saloon on Thursday - the only estate they have is petrol but I do get to look at it!

OP
S

Smile

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am intrigued by the mpg you are getting on your current car and wonder wether you may actually be better off going Petrol.

As if I didn't have enough choices. Here I am with MB vs BMW, C200 vs C250 and NOW you add petrol vs Diesel to the mix! Colour will be next! :)

My current car, the 325i has been heavy on petrol since the year dot. Today the trip computer tells me I currently average 7.1 miles to the gallon and drive 14.6 miles an hour! The petrol milage has been better - I do remember it being around 8.6 when the car was newer!

I mainly drive very regular but short distances in a 4-mile square heavily speed bumped urban area. I drive out of London for a 140 mile round trip about twice a month. I occasionally make longer trips, maybe three times a year. It averages out just under 6k miles a year. I seem to fill the car almost weekly.

I decided diesel for sheer laziness - I am assuming I will have to fill the car less often, as well as cost saving.

I am marginally worried about the running in - with my milage it will take forever to get the car run in! But I am also hoping that a diesel engine will be worth it in the end - like a an old tractor - takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin' (that was Timex but you get the picture!)

PS I saw two R reg E Class Estates today - even though one was a bit tired (star had been ripped off and bumper damaged) both looked shiny and glossy and NOT 12 or 13 years old. My Y reg BMW has metallic paint and is in very good nick but it doesn't seem as 'glossy', as 'smart', as, for want of a better word, as 'classy'. Almost regal. :lol:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
You don't need anything like a C class - except as a rental! Get something like a smart for your short runs (which will kill the battery and diesel particulate filter of a diesel) and rent for the longer runs! Bet it would be cost effective!!

NISFAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spoke to the Chelsea MB sales guy again today - he hasn't been able to find a C220 cdi in either estate or saloon. I quoted NISFAN "But I thought they were your bread and butter model" (I wanted to sound like a pro!) and he said "That is the problem, because Sterling is so weak against the Euro the Irish are buying them up. There are none around. We are not sure we can fill our September 1st orders." In our last call I thought he said he had three with my specs available on a 1st September plate - maybe he meant the C250 cdi. He is pushing it.

I am booked into test drive a C250 cdi saloon on Thursday - the only estate they have is petrol but I do get to look at it!

One thing you might not be aware of (I wasn't initially), is that the MB dealers are not the 'one big happy family', as it may seem. They are franchised, and are very competitive against each other. This means that even if a MB dealer 10 miles the other direction has exactly the car you want to test drive, your dealer won't call them up and ask to borrow the car. They usually only share within their own franchised group, if at all.

It is worth knowing this, and knowing which other dealers are in your local MB's franchise. It may be (especially for you within the M25), that another dealer close by, has just what your after to TD. ;)

As your dealer is offering a TD in the 250Cdi, I would take that one out, atleast it gives you a feel for the C. You might not like it an move on to the BM :lol: It has in effect the same basic engine/gearbox as the C220, but is tweaked a little to give more power. If the dealer pushes you towards the 250, make sure he gives you a healthy discount, as it is a fair price premium over the 220, and will cost more to run.
I would also take out the petrol estate. It will give you a feel for the estate chassis (they usually have stiffer rear suspension), general vision and cabin noise (which is often different to the saloon), etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Nope, it's been continuously available for some time now. BMW have been offering it on MINI since it came out. Many manufacturers do this now - VW, Honda and Mitsubishi that I'm aware of and there are probably others. I've noticed Audi are doing it on the A1.

It's a good marketing ploy. Helps sell cars with less discount and keeps customers in the dealers' workshops.

BMW have had some package or other available for some time but the bargain service deals have varied form model to model and from time to time when I have checked. Some months they even offered free servicing.

Just at the moment MB are offering two years free servicing on all approved used cars (well they are at dealers in Southampton, Portsmouth, Chichester and Winchester). They all offer deals of one kind or another whether it is finance (which MB often do very cheaply) or servicing, or discounts, or bundles of extras at package prices (BMW do this a lot especially if a model is soon to be changed or facelifted).

S

smithmimek

As you are driving such low mileages, breaking springs, suspension linkage wear, faulty air conditioning, and a useless 'hand'brake, won't be important to you! However I listen to my two colleagues start up their 320d BMW's and the engine 'sounds' so smooth and advanced compared to my admittedly older 220CDi.

Having said that, you have to be prepared to sink below the wasteline of the BMW as I do not like these low driving positions. Audi have it as well.

fletcher7751

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi 2006
Hi
My experience of having a 2010 BMW3 diesel and a 2006 C220 CDi....l will be able to see the BM go, but wouldn't let the MB go.
The BM is the go kart of the two, point and squirt driving, the MB is much more refined
Only drawback with the MB is the lo profile tyres and the ride that they give.

Please update the forum on your decision and experiences with whichever you get

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
In your position I'd opt for the BMW on standard suspension. BMW 'own' this segment of car in term of economy, performance and running costs. In fact, in last weeks group test of this segment a weekly car magazine said that the 3 Series was 'playing a different game' to its rival MB, Audi, Volvo models in terms of performance and economy.

Having said all that, please make sure you test drive both and make sure you're comparing like for like, as each car can have several permutations in configuration. Maybe after so many years in a BMW you should have a MB regardless as it'll be a nice change and feel like an exciting adventure? :)

Personally, I'd go for a new model X3. I drive around London all the time, and I can see how an SUV is so popular, roads are ****. X3 is very impressive, especially with stop/start etc and very economical.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally, I'd go for a new model X3. I drive around London all the time, and I can see how an SUV is so popular, roads are ****. X3 is very impressive, especially with stop/start etc and very economical.

The old one has horrendous ride - is the new one better?

I think you're absolutely right though - it seems ridiculous, but with speed bumps of various sorts, massive potholes etc, a mid-size SUV makes perfect sense for city driving, and they're very practical for chucking kids and all the other stuff that you need to carry.
I just wish they'd offer them here with the soft ride that they have in the US.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom