2011 CLS350 Gearbox Issues & not recording fault codes

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Out of interest, could a clogged DPF or faulty DPF sensor cause the symptoms I’m experiencing ?; engine noisier, lack of power, erratic gear changes at low speeds, EGR fault codes & RPM surging at motorway speed
Regardless , they would have shown up as a fault on Star .

OP
S

Simon G

Reaction score
Update ......

Garage suggested the car needed a DPF regen, so this was done, errors cleared and they road tested the car and confirmed all OK.

Drove the car the following day and all seemed fine until after approx 1 hr when the car started hesitating on acceleration, at all speeds but most noticeable at around 70mph.

OBD scanner now showed two new codes, one relating to the crank position sensor and the other to an O2 sensor.

Drove for an hour yesterday to replicate the hesitation fault and took it back to the garage. Mechanic came out on a test drive with me and experienced the hesitation issue which he said felt like a misfire. Just as we returned the the garage the original issue also re-ocured, I.e. gears not changing until 3,000 rpm and now power - essentially in limp mode.

Car was put back on start diagnostics without stopping and restarting and there were multiple (18) errors stored indicating issues with virtually every ECU; left xenon headlight, intelligent servo module, stability program, fuel pump, instrument cluster, parking system, reversible emergency tension retractor, steering column, media interface, transmission :eek:

They cleared the codes and took the car out for another test drive - the car was still in limp mode but on putting it back on the diagnostics system there were zero errors stored ........ I.e. the original issue I had when I took the car to a garage in December.

They made some calls to technical teams to get their thoughts, but they could not explain why the car is going into limp mode but not reporting any errors when it does, or why when codes do show up they appear random.

They don’t think the EGR was ever at fault but believe that the car has an electrical issue, but as the errors relate to every ECU and often requires the car to be driven for an >1 hour they aren’t very confident in being able to trace the fault easily as it would require driving for a period of time until an issue occurs and then testing each ECU to try and narrow down the fault - at circa £750 a day this could potentially become very expensive and they are not confident that they will even find the problem.

....... they’ve actually suggested that my best option may be to trade the car in somewhere :(

Starting to think I may need to cut my losses, but I’m gutted as I love the car

Last edited:

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Good morning guys

So what has recently happened with a specific communication tool as of the last few weeks has been after making a calibration and then a subsequent 60mile ish drive it fires up an EEPROM error which drops comms with other modules

We have support tickets open currently with the tools manufacturers as we had this happen after calibration with a 2012 CLS350 CDI just last week and are trying to resolve!

Will update when we have a solution or tools have had a protocol fix or update

Many thanks

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom