2012 CLS 63 AMG, Nurbergring

CLS Trev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63 AMG / 2012 / 5.5 biturbo
Hi. I'd like to take my CLS63 to the Nurbergring and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, has anyone else ever done this in the same car and how did you get on and secondly...

Is there a way to change / remove the speed restriction (currently set to 250kph I think)?

I'd like to push it just to see what she can do...

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Welcome Trev.

You are in luck. One of admin here has the same model and has done the Ring in the past.
When he see's this thread I'm sure he'll comment.

As for the limiter, just had mine lifted along with a remap. 666bhp and 775ft lbs is fun!
Done at MSL Performance Birmingham, the only place I'd trust with my car.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Welcome Trev.

You are in luck. One of admin here has the same model and has done the Ring in the past.
When he see's this thread I'm sure he'll comment.

As for the limiter, just had mine lifted along with a remap. 666bhp and 775ft lbs is fun!
Done at MSL Performance Birmingham, the only place I'd trust with my car.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: beast mode

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Ive done the ring my 911, drove there after the Spa Classic, did a few laps and then drove back to the ferry.

A surprising number don’t make it back as they go too hard too fast and bin it, this is very expensive for them and slows everyone else’s down.

Whilst the straight is long on open track days you can’t go full speed down it as you end up in a queue for the barrier.

I’ve been much faster on the road than at the ring so I don’t think your limiter maybe that much of an issue.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It's the Nurburgring for starters ;)

If you have never been, going there with the intention of being fast is a very bad idea. It is a difficult circuit. It is very long, many of the corners are blind, the run off varies between small and non existent. You may have driven it on video games and watched countless videos but that type of research cannot prepare you for the altitude changes and surface undulations. By all means visit - there is nowhere else like it, and the experience as a whole is brilliant. You'd be well advised to hire a Suzuki Swift or similar from one of the many companies offering cars to rent. On your first five visits you'll be as quick in that as you would in 600bhp of any manufacturers offerings. It's all about circuit knowledge. That's why the locals in old mk2 VW Golfs run rings around visitors with supercars.

Www.Northloop.co.uk is a great resource with huge 'ring experience amongst its members. click on FORUM. They (we) are a cliquey bunch, but newbies are welcome to join.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
As above weight is everything , a sledge hammer barge will get destroyed by a lightweight well balanced HPT 4 pot .

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Trev, welcome to the forum. You are well advised by the above. If you bin it you won't be insured and that would be catastrophic :eek::eek:

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
Hi Trev
i did the ring in my SL55 6 years ago now, it's quite scary, the guy that organised the trip said "what ever you do, don't try and stay with a Suzuki Swift, or a Renault Megane" i laughed, after my first lap i understood why.
The best i did all day was to use a whole tank of fuel in 6 laps, averaged 6mpg, i thought i was fast ish, my best time of the day was 10 minutes 40s so wrong by a long way.
i had a repair bill when i got home of £1100 all the inner wheel arch liners, cooling pipes behind the liners etc etc.

I went again 2 months later on a road trip, that time i hired a Renault Megane R26r, wow so much fun and such a forgiving car if it goes a bit wrong, after 12 laps (trackday not a TF) my best time was 8 minutes 38s, that had less than half of the power of my SL55.

I have done 4 trackdays this year alone and i have already booked 2 days for April 2020, trackdays are a lot safer as there aren't so many cars on the track, max 150 i think, we counted 300 cars go out in 9 minutes on a TF day.

I have done loads of trackdays in the last 5 years, but i drive a Mk3 Megane now, the SL is for the other days :)

OP
C

CLS Trev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63 AMG / 2012 / 5.5 biturbo
So much good advise. Thanks all, shows what a great forum this is.

I enjoy driving quick but am by no means a racing driver. I think that hiring something more "appropriate" sounds like a good place to start. I'll let you all know how I get on, hopefully early next year I can influence my Birthday gift...

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
We have a lot of knowledge of the Ring and have a few things planned for next year!

My advise is get some laps in on a Sim and start the learning process, another good piece of advice is make sure you have tip top brakes and rubber!!! Take the place slowly and just be mindful of other traffic as you will be beaten by lesser cars but drivers who have great experience. Also its is beneficial to watch videos of people on the circuit and watch their driving manors and behaviour.

As for performance of course power is needed but not to the extent you would imagine, its weight, downforce and setup which is what makes cars fast round the ring with experience. You only have to look at the GT2-RS which had to lap record, then the SVJ took it then the GT2-RS took it back just by weight saving, suspension and aero still running 700bhp

Any other questions please message

Many thanks

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Also I could be wrong but on a punters day is there not a 250kph limit? After the GTR incident a few years back?

I will confirm with my Ring contacts

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
So much good advise. Thanks all, shows what a great forum this is.

I enjoy driving quick but am by no means a racing driver. I think that hiring something more "appropriate" sounds like a good place to start. I'll let you all know how I get on, hopefully early next year I can influence my Birthday gift...

Hi, besides the fact that you are unlikely to be insured (as mentioned above) I understand that damage to the armco, delays on the circuit (you cause the track to be closed for safety) and recovery vehicles will also be payable for you. If somebody hits you, you have no claim on the driver! I've watched 100s of videos on the ring and there are a lot of very tricky sections and also lots of new armco. :)

Old boy racer cars leaking oil onto the track is a problem as well. I was very keen to take my SL but after all the videos I've seen, I'll be hiring something.

KillerHERTZ

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
W463 G55 AMG
To OP, did you do a lap in the end? Here is my lap, also in a 2012 CLS63:

Looks slow, but the 'slow' sections im doing above 70Mph.

My thoughts afterwards, it may say AMG on my bootlid but its no racecar, you can really feel its weight around the tight corners. After Hatzenbach going into Quiddlebacher Hohe you can see me struggle with its weight (at 3:47)

Top Bottom