2013 SL R231 powered trunk lid R231

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
I have an issue with the trunk lid on my SL350 in that it only opens half way, and then gently closes again - the dealer fixed this a couple of years ago (can't remember if it was new struts or reprogramming). I know it's been very cold (which may contribute to the issue), but I'd welcome an explanation of what system powers the trunk lid open and closed - is it the hydraulic roof pump?

I've checked the oil level in the hydraulic pump which is fine - other symptoms are:
- the close button on the tailgate doesn't illuminate
- the driver door button will open the boot, but won't close it

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
I have an issue with the trunk lid on my SL350 in that it only opens half way, and then gently closes again - the dealer fixed this a couple of years ago (can't remember if it was new struts or reprogramming). I know it's been very cold (which may contribute to the issue), but I'd welcome an explanation of what system powers the trunk lid open and closed - is it the hydraulic roof pump?

I've checked the oil level in the hydraulic pump which is fine - other symptoms are:

Btw - the roof opens and closes fine

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Does sound like it may need normalising on Xentry (Or other diagnostic kit)

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
as above my need normalising, this used to happen on my w211 and then started to slam close, that ended up being the control module.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Btw - the roof opens and closes fine
Hi RC Am I missing something here. You say the boot doesn't open all the way but the roof opens and closes fine. How does the roof fold away if the boot isn't fully open. Looks like I've got an identical car to you but my boot switch in the door only releases the boot,it doesn't close it. Am I miss reading what you say or have I got a problem with my boot as well. :confused:

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
Hi RC Am I missing something here. You say the boot doesn't open all the way but the roof opens and closes fine. How does the roof fold away if the boot isn't fully open. Looks like I've got an identical car to you but my boot switch in the door only releases the boot,it doesn't close it. Am I miss reading what you say or have I got a problem with my boot as well. :confused:
Hi Bay Leaf - slight misunderstanding I think. The boot lid operates fine (i.e opens backwards) when opening and closing the roof - but only opens halfway and then sags back when opening it in normal boot mode (i.e to put shopping into the boot) - have you had this happen?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
You need to unpick the wiring in the lifting frame for the boot, cut open the loom, there your find a few Brocken wires I suspect, did one last week!
Thanks Cole - is this the wiring on the left strut (as you look from the back of the car to the front) - the one with the lift sensor on the strut?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more

I am still unsure - when you open the boot by using the door button did the boot open right to the full extent ie do you have a fully automated lift ? Easiest way of asking - how do you close it again - slam it or press a button on the boot lid ?? If it is, then Cole is right (in my last SL the broken wires were on the right when you looked at the boot).

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Hi Bay Leaf - slight misunderstanding I think. The boot lid operates fine (i.e opens backwards) when opening and closing the roof - but only opens halfway and then sags back when opening it in normal boot mode (i.e to put shopping into the boot) - have you had this happen?
No Mines fine that way. But I'm confused now about the boot opener from inside the car. When I activate it, it justs releases the boot about 1 inch then I pull it up all the way. It's the same as when I use the fob.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
I am still unsure - when you open the boot by using the door button did the boot open right to the full extent ie do you have a fully automated lift ? Easiest way of asking - how do you close it again - slam it or press a button on the boot lid ?? If it is, then Cole is right (in my last SL the broken wires were on the right when you looked at the boot).
It's usually fully powered up and down either with the button on the driver's door side, the close button on the boot lid or the kick to open feature - Coles broken wire theory makes sense as the vacuum pump and hydraulic pump are all fine - had the door lock and non powered gas struts replaced 2 years ago looking at my records

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It will be that. Mine did it (twice - different wires). They were on the right hinge side. I managed to find then (both times) by opening the boot to full extent, then by pressing the wiring harness in all sorts of ways AND pressing the close boot button, it eventually started. That then allowed me to narrow it down to a single wire and replace about 4"

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
It will be that. Mine did it (twice - different wires). They were on the right hinge side. I managed to find then (both times) by opening the boot to full extent, then by pressing the wiring harness in all sorts of ways AND pressing the close boot button, it eventually started. That then allowed me to narrow it down to a single wire and replace about 4"
That's good to hear - if I can narrow it down and then show the mechanic that would be very useful - a job for when the rain stops though!!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l
We had bad repairs on both sides!!
Hi Cole - do you know which system (vario hydraulic pump or PSE pump) does the trunk open and close? I noticed today that the seat lumbar and side bolsters had stopped working, and had read somewhere that the powered assist boot opening was pneumatic.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 (R231) 2013 3.5l

OK - so problem has been fixed - here's what happened (27 days in the dealership btw). Fault code said it was the trunk position sensor - this was replaced but the fault remained. New boot latch was then fitted and the problem sorted. Unfortunately the kick to open is now playing up - kicking unlatches the trunk lid lock but the boot doesn't then open. No fault codes, so dealership say that the sensor is faulty - £630'ish to fit.....I said no!

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Glad you got it sorted ( Ish ) Lets get back to opening and closing our own trunk's and and door's it's not hard and there is less to go wrong. Fortunately for me my car isn't fitted with said gismo. :)

Fariz

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
OK - so problem has been fixed - here's what happened (27 days in the dealership btw). Fault code said it was the trunk position sensor - this was replaced but the fault remained. New boot latch was then fitted and the problem sorted. Unfortunately the kick to open is now playing up - kicking unlatches the trunk lid lock but the boot doesn't then open. No fault codes, so dealership say that the sensor is faulty - £630'ish to fit.....I said no!
Hi !
I hawe the same problem with my car. Dou you know witch sensor they wanted to change?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom