202 windscreen trim

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
Hi does anyone know how the windscreen side trim comes off as it tucks behind the wing and roofrail , then I presume the top one levers out
Also the door bottom rubbers that seal onto the plastic skirts do they just pull /lever straight downwards,dont want to damage them or the clips if it can be helped thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If no reply I will look it up for you

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Isn't the screen side trim part of the roof rail? I seem to remember when I have had new screens fitted on mine this was the case. The top trim as you say just levers out.
All these trims are very soft and easily bent out of shape, especially the upper trim due to the way you have to remove it (levering and working from one end), the roof rail channel clips seem lose the ability to grip the rail when you refit the trim but can be re-tensioned with a pair of pliers.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
Isn't the screen side trim part of the roof rail? I seem to remember when I have had new screens fitted on mine this was the case. The top trim as you say just levers out.
All these trims are very soft and easily bent out of shape, especially the upper trim due to the way you have to remove it (levering and working from one end), the roof rail channel clips seem lose the ability to grip the rail when you refit the trim but can be re-tensioned with a pair of pliers.

I only found the top rail Andy in the EPC and I was going to look on the screen remove to see.

They sell those clips on their own, but can they be fitted with the screen in place ????

Re levering the strips out I use a kitchen spatula made of tough plastic and its quite wide, its dead easy to crack the screen using metal.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ones on the roof can and they can just be tightened up/re-tensioned. I can,t remember specifically anything about any side trim clips, so I never had a problem with these and having gone through 4 screen replacements over the years the only problem was the roof ones, the front side ones if fitted are just push on pry off I,ll see if I have a pic of my car with the trims removed to confirm this.

OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
trim

no Andy mines the estate, the side trim end is tucked under the aluminium roof rail for about 1/2 inch then it goes behind the wing for about 11/2 inches, only way it would seem is to pull it up in the middle so itll bow enough to release it but I dont want to damage/break it and it seems very tightly fixed

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just looked at the pics of when I had my car repainted and found this photo, it clearly shows the clips holding the top trim on, and it is pop riveted in so I think I can safely say that these ones would/can only be replaced if the screen is removed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will check within the hour and post back

OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
pics

yes thanks that clarifies the top trim Ive just looked at the side trim and lifting the flexible rubber that sits on the glass I can see metal clips which look like theyre fastened to the pillar just have to work out which way to pull it now

OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rivets

Just looked at the pics of when I had my car repainted and found this photo, it clearly shows the clips holding the top trim on, and it is pop riveted in so I think I can safely say that these ones would/can only be replaced if the screen is removed.

nice area for rust to start looking at the rivets

Ive rubbed the car down for respray and interestingly on the tailgate although mines in good nick for its age in the recess for the number plate theres no primer under the topcoat no wonder they used to suffer!!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just looked at my pics of the respray before, during, and after, and does show many aspects of a 202 in the process of being stripped down, though not exactly sure what you are doing but it could be a good reference for you, any questions regarding the pics feel free to ask, as I was privy to most of the stripping down process.
The thread on my respray is here.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106953

OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
diary

Andy, thanks for the link, nice diary and a lot of work, mines going from metallic blue to solid black going for a good finish but havent the time to remove roof lining to remove rails sunroof etc, cars a daily driver 600 miles a week usually so Ill have to work quick and hope this good weather holds

Ill remove all the door rubbers which look like theyre a bit of a pain and trim/bumpers/lights/handles etc ,then Ill do the door shuts at a later date

Got the AMG trim to fit and paint up front bumper brackets look like theyll need a bit of fettling as the bumper doesnt fit right like the original and the amg ones dont seem to be as rigid either

with the car going to black and the C43 trim having no chrome trim Ill have to see if its too much colour maybe the C36 would look better Ill have to see

rear door handles removed easily but front allen screws seem very tight dont want to risk rounding the allen heads Ill give them some WD and try again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the info for the A pillar trim and I can send it to you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sent, not much but enough :D

Last edited by a moderator:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom