203 Broken Springs Again!!

Bryann

Reaction score
Hello all, had new springs fitted to my C270cd!, specifically asked for new springs to be fitted same colour code as on car!!!!!!!!! Guess what I am now going to tell you, they didn't fit the same colour code of spring, well there's a surprise. They fitted (I say they because I cannot bring myself to mention the name as I have been caught before and now again) springs according to the calculation used which is supposed to depict the spec of spring fitted to the car and from my experience it doesn’t compute, I have been advised the calculation is only a guide. What can be simpler than to carry out a straightforward instruction? The original springs were conveniently discarded, well there's another surprise. My advice to anyone who has the misfortune to suffer broken springs is to have the colour coding checked before the work is undertaken and do not rely on the calculation, unfortunately I was not in a position to do this and thought after telling the garage to fit nothing else other than the same springs that were on the car this would have been carried out to the letter. Having a different specification of spring fitted to the car makes a noticeable difference to the way the car handles and responds. I am extremely angry and annoyed mainly with myself, can you tell!

Bryan

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Hello all, had new springs fitted to my C270cd!, specifically asked for new springs to be fitted same colour code as on car!!!!!!!!! Guess what I am now going to tell you, they didn't fit the same colour code of spring, well there's a surprise. They fitted (I say they because I cannot bring myself to mention the name as I have been caught before and now again) springs according to the calculation used which is supposed to depict the spec of spring fitted to the car and from my experience it doesn’t compute, I have been advised the calculation is only a guide. What can be simpler than to carry out a straightforward instruction? The original springs were conveniently discarded, well there's another surprise. My advice to anyone who has the misfortune to suffer broken springs is to have the colour coding checked before the work is undertaken and do not rely on the calculation, unfortunately I was not in a position to do this and thought after telling the garage to fit nothing else other than the same springs that were on the car this would have been carried out to the letter. Having a different specification of spring fitted to the car makes a noticeable difference to the way the car handles and responds. I am extremely angry and annoyed mainly with myself, can you tell!

Bryan

I do not know if anything has changed since my car was produced BUT the colour coding on Merc springs mean nothing to the car spec.

The colour coding is merely a manufacturing process check.

The correct approach is to use the Merc tables for your car VIN and select the spring according to the car spec and options on the car (which is determined from the VIN).

The spring part numbers are on the bottom coil of the spring (on mine anyway).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the wrong springs have been fitted,,surely who ever did this should change them

Midland45

Reaction score
I think the OEM companies who make the springs for Mercedes test the spring rate and then colour code them accordingly, this allows better balancing and matching to the vehicles weight

OP
B

Bryann

Reaction score
The problem is because they have used a calculation they think it is set in stone and won't budge I still cannot understand why they didn't fit like for like. My vehicle is on the upper limit of the calculation!
I am dealing with the issue at the moment

Bryan

Midland45

Reaction score
Its merely a table within the epc. You simple add up a series of points for various equipment in your car and arrive with a number. This number when referenced to a table will give you the correct spring for your vehicle.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
An example for the W203 rears

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom