203 Not Turning over

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i know "this dude" well, nice chap. i would even say i HAVE helped this dude in the past ;). and the father in law too. i am sure he will be ok with the starter change, long extensions to behind the gearbox is a good tip for many starters too, not just the 612...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well it has not come back so thats something

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
Oh no my cover is blown. Small world! Alexander, could you be working in a lovely little place in Badly? :)

'HelpThisDude'.....some screen name..... my imagination is.....well, rubbish :)

Sorry I had not replied yesterday Malcom I had to rush off to work. I will just check the instructions and see if I will attempt it.

C

CharlesWhiteman

Code:
and try to flash the starter up using the 12 volt from the jump point!

I didnt quite understand this part. Use the jump starter point? How and with what?

Reaction score
C class 220 cdi non starter

Hi all ive just found this thread my 2003 c class 220cdi wont turn starter motor after reading about keys etc (large beads of sweat on brow) i tried the purple wire jumper to see if it would turn starter no luck. so i put my avo on purple wire pin turned ignition and im getting full voltage to purple wire so possibly dirty connections on starter.What i would like to know is does the purple wire go direct to starter motor or does it go to inhibitor switch for auto box.Ive had car for a few years now and every so often it wont start key turns fully in ignition after a few attempts it usually starts not this time though:Oops:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Purple wire goes straight to starter, so yes, it looks like a starter fault.

Do bear in mind the earth strap as well as the other obvious - I have seen loose terminals on these starters before!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just in case there is a poor connection on the fat battery lead that goes to the starter, do check that 12v is there all the time and when cranking

Reaction score
Just given starter a tap with hammer and its working so looks like a new starter is on the cards.I could strip it and clean and check everything but for what they cost is it worth it?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Normally very cheap on Ebay, yes could be poor relay contacts but this is all heavy stuff and not easy to repair, you never know though :D

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Just to resurrect this post…

I have an ML270 2002 model.

Twice now I have driven, with my caravan on the back I might add just for info (split relay etc..), has decided not to start or turnover…

Driven a few miles then decided to stop for coffee, or in the case of this weekend, I arrived at the site.. Unplugged the caravan electrics etc and decided to move the car… All the dash lights come on but Nothing happens..

Called the AA, left car for about 20 Minutes and hey presto !!! it fires back in to life…

Where should I be looking and what checks can I perform to narrow the problem down, without many tools as I would be very dangerous with tools !!

Starter issue ?
Heat related ?
Split relay ?

The only new thing that has been replaced JUST prior to the first time this happened was a Battery..

OP
Cole@MBS

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Check the earth strap under the o/s engine mount, thats a common cause, might be starting to brake.......

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Cheers, will check later.

But, if it was an Earth problem I did not think I would get any dashboard lights ?

Richard

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As Colin, earth strap and ignition switch would be my guesses.

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
As Colin, earth strap and ignition switch would be my guesses.

You mention ignition switch, the barrell ??

I ask for two reasons :-

1 - I have no idea where or what it is :)
2 - I'm pretty sure when I turned the ignition off that the only way to re-start was to remove key and re-insert as just turning the ignition key again would not work ! but now I dont have to remove the key to re-start from switching off.

Am I just dreaming or has something gone wrong allowing me to -re-start without removing the key ?

Richard

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You only have to turn the key back to the '0' position before you can turn it to the start position again.

On the back of the mechanical mechanism and barrel is an electrical switch - the ignition switch.
The good new is they are cheap.

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

As for the Ignition Switch, what would be the part number ?

Also, would the Earth Strap or Ignition Switch throw up an error code in the ECU ? if which ones ?

Richard

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

As for the Ignition Switch, what would be the part number ?

Also, would the Earth Strap or Ignition Switch throw up an error code in the ECU ? if which ones ?

Richard

Ask MB for the part from your VIN, you do not need to know the number.

Neither would necessarily give rise to fault codes, but if they did they would not point directly to a fault with either.
For example, you might get something like a transmission module logging CAN faults with engine management in the case of an ignition switch fault.

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
UPDATE.

Wife drove home tonight, left car for about 10 mins after engine turned off. Tried to start it and nothing...

Got my jump leads and created a new earth from negative battery terminal to engine block.. Stgill nothing..

Lights on dash as per normal but no engine cranking at all.

Took lid of fuse box and gave the K8 relay a push, seems quite loose and wobbley still, but after the push it started without an issue..

Turned off engine, started again, then turned off again.

Gave the K8 another wiggle, tried to start and nothing, wiggle again and hey presto..

So, looks like a duff K8 which I will get replaced tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
UPDATE 2.

Wife arrived at Mercedes in Tamworth, Staffordshire..

As it would not start again! even with wiggling the K8.

Mercedes Tamworth replaced K8, still would not start.

Spoke with Cole@MBS who kindly took my call while eating his lunch, much appreciated, and suggested a few other cheap possibilities.

The earth strap which looks ok to view, I will now be getting properly looked at while on a ramp to confirm its state and connectivity.

I have purchsed a new Ignition Switch which will be fitted tonight, instruction kindly advised by Cole@MBS

I also mentioned on the call with Cole@MBS, that Mercedes Tamworth (A Main Dealer), that the technician who fitted the K8 stated that he thinks it was the CPS which will also stop the car cranking over if faulty and suggested I bring it in the workshop for diagnostics £££££

I declined as Cole@MBS just laughed when I said what they had said to me / my wife regarding the CPS with it not cranking

Will update again later.

Thanks again Cole@MBS for your time and advice over the phone, hope I did not give you indigestion

Richard

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Makes me laugh too, you would think employees of the main dealer would know a crank sensor will not stop it cranking!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom