220te CENTRAL LOCKING PUMP

n338amg

Reaction score
Hello, could I ask for some help please.
I've just bought a lovely old 1993 220te. Most things work OK, but the most irritating of the "non-working" things is the lack of central locking. I'm sure that the central locking pump is not running, and need to get at it with a multimeter to check. The only problem is, I'm not sure where to find it. I know that on the saloon version it's located under the base of the rear seat, but the estate is different, as the rear floor pan extends up under the rear seats. Any advice please as to where the central locking pump is located in the estate versions
Cheers
Keith

OP
N

n338amg

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but unfortunately that diagram isn't as accurate as it could be. The line drawing suggests the pump is underneath the base of the rear passenger seat, as is the case with the saloon version. However, once I had tipped the seat and cut the carpet to get under the flooring I discovered the only thing hidden under there is the Control Unit for the comfort control.The vacuum pump for the central locking is actually under the carpet under the rear seat DRIVERS SIDE. You have to cut the carpet to get at it, but once you've done that you can see the foam box that hides (and isolates) the pump.
A quick look at mine revealed there was no need for testing, the pump had obviously overheated at some time and partially welded itself to the foam box. All the vacuum lines are OK, and if you blow or suck on them they lock/unlock the the relevant doors, so lets hope the replacement pump currently on order from Mercman will do the trick !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The last pump that he supplied did the job well.

What you must do is to isolate any leaks in the system, the pump must cut after locking within say 4 sec, if the pump has to run to the time out of 20-25 secs the new one will not last long

OP
N

n338amg

Reaction score
Malcolm, thanks, when I picked the car up and started looking at the problems with it, the vacuum line to the fuel flap was disconnected, that may well have caused the pump to keep on running and hence burn out. The diaphram for the fuel flap is a bit suspect, and as I'm not concerned about that locking I was considering just blanking the end of that vacuum line. Is that a good idea, what do you think ??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, thanks, when I picked the car up and started looking at the problems with it, the vacuum line to the fuel flap was disconnected, that may well have caused the pump to keep on running and hence burn out. The diaphram for the fuel flap is a bit suspect, and as I'm not concerned about that locking I was considering just blanking the end of that vacuum line. Is that a good idea, what do you think ??

By all means just plug that line, not so important

OP
N

n338amg

Reaction score
Pump fitted, wiring and vacuum lines connected (except the fuel flap vacuum line which is plugged), all working OK. A useful point to remember is that the pump on an estate car is fitted underneath the rear seat base DRIVERS SIDE, not passenger side as all the diagrams suggest !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pump fitted, wiring and vacuum lines connected (except the fuel flap vacuum line which is plugged), all working OK. A useful point to remember is that the pump on an estate car is fitted underneath the rear seat base DRIVERS SIDE, not passenger side as all the diagrams suggest !

Pleased its all OK,, we have LHD and RHD, and some components are reversed, not all, and that make it hard if you have not actually done it

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom