230CE Engine Fails at Speed

lynder

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have an 1985 230CE automatic which generally drives perfectly in the city. However, when I bring it on the motorway and drive between 80kph and 100kph it intermittantly looses revs and tries to cut out. I have to practically stand on/pump the accelerator to get it to not stop and it's pretty hairy when there's other cars behind you doing 100kph and you loose speed.

I've replaced the rotar arm and distributor cap and the mechanic has given it a once over but hasn't seen anything obvious and the problem hasn't happened so far when he drives it which is very frustrating. It never behaves like this below 80kph - only at speed and not everytime I do 80kph+, but seems to be more frequent these days (I've had it for a year). Anyone experience the same issue or come across this?

Thanks a million,

Lynder

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Cheers for that TV :) Yep, it really feels like it is fuel not getting to the engine when it happens, but the problem is that it never ever happens other than at speed. Unless the engine or parts are rocking so much after a certain speed that something is getting caught along the fuel line. But the engine sounds really good until it happens, no knocking or anything. I would have thought that if the pump (or pumps??!) were faulty that the problem would occur at all times, or even intermittantly but at all speeds?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Higher engine speed=more power= more fuel needed to burn= fuel deficit if the system has reached a "limit" and is unable to supply this= blocked fuel filter or failing pump?? this may be happening in the lower gears but because of the auto transmission and lower gears you may not notice?? I would change the fuel filter for starters

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the tips guys - I'll have a go in the next couple of weeks and let you know how I get on!! Cheers, Lynda

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

Looks like you guys were on the money! I took the car out at the weekend with a monitor stuck on the fuel pump relay and sure enough it was droping to zero volts when the engine was failing at speed so I am planning on replacing the fuel pump relay as some of the connections looked worn or burnt out when we took it off to have a look.

However, living in the "Rip Off Republic" I am being quoted €240 for the part when I can see some on line for way less than that. Are you guys aware of any reputable dealers in the UK who supply these and ship internationally? Part number is 001 545 67 05.

Cheers,

Lynda

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
P.S. Checked fuel filter and it was fine - looks like it was replaced recently enough.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Mercedes dealer in UK list it at £187 including VAT.

You could get a discount off that price of at least 10% probably.

What about contacting a Merc dismantler - see Merc Enthusiast magazine.

OR

the UK 123 expert is Mark Cosovich in Swansea Wales - he sells parts/cars to Ireland.

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Cool, thanks David. I have emailed a dealer in Australia who has 1 for AUSD$80 including VAT which would be fantastic if it worked out. I will contact Mark and look up the mags.

Cheers,

Lynda

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The output from the pumps can drop with age. by emerging the head of the pump in a bowl of diesel and running the pump backwards can clean it out

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Why not dismantle the old Relay and resolder the joints on the small internal circuit board. This is often all that's required. If you are not good with a soldering iron any local electronic/tv repair shop would do it at little cost.

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

Yes, the mechanic removed the part and done some re-soldering (I personally wouldn't know where to start!) but from driving the car I don't think it was enough. Have to give it a good run to see if it worked or not. May have sourced a 2nd hand one from someone over her for 30 yoyos so hopefully that works out!

Cheers,

Lynda

OP
L

lynder

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to say that this ended up being the Fuel Relay Pump. When I replaced it, the car started working fine. Thanks a million for all the help and apologies for the delay in replying, I have been meaning to get on for ages to put the resolution up!!

Cheers,

Lynda

Top Bottom