230E randomly cutting out?

DMRobinson

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently got a 1983 230E Auto, which goes/went well with no problems... however recently it has randomly cut out for no obvious reason. It will all of a sudden be as though it has run out of fuel, when you try to re start it, it fires and then dies again, this will happen for a few minutes (sometimes more) then all or a sudden it will fire and then rev up as normal, and then carry on running as it should.... any ideas?

Underneath at the back there is what appears to be two fuel filters? and a 12v fuel pump? is this correct? Should this pump be running when the ignition is on? if not what is it for?

Any advice or info gratefully received

Thanks,
Dan R

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
This could be way out of left field as an answer but ...

I have known of a similar case with an MB where the problem was as simple as too many keys and things hanging on the ignition key ring. Took forever to find that fault!!! The serviceman removed all the junk and the problem went away. Just a thought as I have no idea how much "junk" you have on your key ring.

OP
D

DMRobinson

Reaction score
shouldnt be that, only have the vehivle key and one keyring. thanks for the reply though

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
fuel pump relay is common on these. when you turn on the ignition do you notice a 1 second buzz from under the rear of the car? when it doesn`t start is this buzz missing? when cranking over, with the help of a friend, hold the fuel pump to see if it is running. the fuel pump relay on yours is probably in the L/H/S of the passenger foot well behind the plastic trim - just below dash height. or possibly under the bonnet near the battery. it is black, about the size of a packet of cigarettes and has about 12 or so pins on it. the relays can usually be repaired, i dare bet there is a guide on this forum somewhere.

OP
D

DMRobinson

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for that, fuel pump relay is the problem. When the car wont restart there is no buzz. I read on a different thread to bridge pins 7 and 8 to bypass the relay, when this is done the car doesnt cut out and always starts.

I havent found a tread on how to repair the relay, will keep looking, or does anyone have any ideas. Here are two pictures of it with the case off, i dont know what i would be looking for if there was a problem.

15082009119.jpg

15082009118.jpg

Thanks again for the help

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
looks repairable. you will need to resolder the 'dry joints', i think i can see at least one in you picture but hard to tell you where it is without a numbered grid or something.

basically look at the side with all the solder on, and look at all the large metal pins that are in these solder joints. the metal pins should appear 'fused' to the solder and not have any cracks around them. the suspect looking ones are beneath the relay, the usual place as this can get hot and handles the current. if you scrutinise these connections carefully you will surely see which needs resoldering.

presumably the pcb expert will be along in a minute - probably even have beaten me :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No he has been drilling out a broken stud successfully for a member:D

I use a magnifying glass to look at all of the joints, if there is a black ring around the pin and the joint then it is fractured.

If you are good at soldering then re solder them all,,that would take less than 5 mins, use a fluxed cored solder on every joint.
'You could ask a TV repair man to do it, or I would do it by return of post.

The pins on the relays are the main culprits

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another thing that can happen is that a printed track can go open circuit, when many MB lost the kick down function it was a open circuit track on this relay that caused that

OP
D

DMRobinson

Reaction score
Thanks for that television, i tried soldering a couple of joints (not confident enought to do every joint) which had a black ring around them, however they dont look any better now than they did before and its still not working. Dont know whether thats down to my solding not being up to scratch or further problems with the relay, hopefully its just my soldering :)

OP
D

DMRobinson

Reaction score
Many thanks Malcolm for whatever it was that you did, the problem with the fuel pump relay has gone, thank you very much. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks Malcolm for whatever it was that you did, the problem with the fuel pump relay has gone, thank you very much. :D

That relay was almost new,,I cleaned and adjusted the contacts on the relay,,that was all. any way so pleased it is all working

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom