250 ce 1972 starting problem

w114merc

Reaction score
hello, i am new to this site, and am needing so help.
i have a 1972 W114 250 ce, it has a staring problem, the problem has been on going for about a year, i have replaced the points system for a cram cane elctronic start sytem, i have had the injectors changed, and the ht lead, and still no luck. the car is failing to start now, but when it was the car would start and then cut out, repeatedly. and if i try to drive it it would drive along and just cut out while in motion. this problem comes and goes, and just need some help please .

occurs_to_me

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1976 W114 250 Manual, 2009 W212 E220 CDI Auto
Im new to the forum too.
My W114 was restored a year ago, but hasnt done much driving.
Shw had similiar problems (would cut out after a mile or two):(
Knew the problem was petrol related, as car went fine on Gas:)
Took off the feul pump, and the filter inside the pump was full of rust filings.
Cleaned out filter, and (rightly or wrongly) placed an inline filter on the supply line into the fuel pump (which wouldnt be the easiest thing to remove on the side of the road on a dark night)
Now running a lot better, but can still chug a bit.
Think i will have to get a new petrol tank though.

thlonguk

Reaction score
Steam clean the fuel tank

Empty and flush/steam clean the fuel tank. I once persevered with these symptoms on my 190E - checked and pressured-tested the injection pump ( not the problem), repaced ignition leads and components (no improvement). After the tank was flushed out the car behaved impeccably.

occurs_to_me

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1976 W114 250 Manual, 2009 W212 E220 CDI Auto
Hi THLONGUK,
Might seem like a silly question, but, can you let me know the procedure for steam cleaning the petrol tank? Mine was "flushed" by mechanic who done most of the restoration, but he thinks that it is difficult to get all rust out. Has recommended sending it to someone to cut it open and get it coated.
He has done this on some of his other vintage cars. Ta.

Ps - W1114merc,
my fuel pump was the mechanical push-rod type (which can be dis-assembled to acess the filter).

Some are fully sealed units (from my haynes manual), which, presumably would have to be replaced, if this is the fault?

In any case, it only took half hour to remove, clean and replace.
Hope this helps.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is no need to cut the tank open, there is a plastic product on sale from the USA called tank seal, though the tank has to be taken off, you just pour it in and move it around in the tank.

The complete automobilist sell it in the UK,,it is good

OP
W

w114merc

Reaction score
thanks every one for the help,
i will be trying, the cleaning of the pump, i have another question, do the spark plug leads have to be the exact length if i replace them. and is there a diagram to work out which spark plug goes to which pin on the distrubutor cap, stupidly i un plugged all the pins from the top of the cap, and now dont know which pin goes to whch spark plug leads, a rookie error i know ..
thanks again everyone for the advice

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
To workout the leads you will need to put the crankshaft pulley onto the timing marks, then take off the dizzycap and see where the rotor arm is pointing, this will be number 1 and the firing order is 153624.

The are two strokes when working out the position of the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, you will have to take off the rocker cover and see that both valves (number 1 cylinder) are fully closed to be on the right stroke.

Number 1 is the front

OP
W

w114merc

Reaction score
is there anyone selling parts on here ? for the W114 coup

74merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Sport Estate
Hi, were you on the 'other' forum looking for front wings? I've got a 250CE which I will probably break.

OP
W

w114merc

Reaction score
fuel pump

hi mate
i need the fuel pump of your car, and possiable the head with all the trimings

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom