270 CDI Head off, really stuck injector. Suggestions please!

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
If it's still stuck perhaps try the following.

Heat the head using a heat gun gently around the injector. This should be sufficient for the alloy to expand whilst the denser steel remains comparatively cold.

When the area is heated sufficiently apply a wrench but do not turn. Instead, squirt directly at the injector with freezing spray whilst applying pressure to the injector.

You might need a budding assistant for this manoeuvre ;)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
To heat the head in an oven would be best, but that would be a big oven. This is the only way to heat it though, evenly as a whole lump.

As a DIY, they can be drilled out without too much grief (I drilled 2x out of a Vito once), as long as careful reference is made with adjacent injector bores to avoid drilling too far and damaging the sealing surface at the bottom.

However, it ought not to be too hard to mill out (as suggested), or even turn out on a mightly lathe with super big throw.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Made a big oven once with fire bricks, got them out of an old storage heater, insulated it with glass fibre stuck a gas jet then a hot air gun in it, it got very very hot.
probably impractical for you but it did the job for me.

OP
S

Sponcom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class/2002/270CDI
Thanks for all the tips, I had not joy heating the injector - it wouldn't budge at all.

I took it to an engineering place and had it machined out in the end.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
I think that happens when body of the injector is already slightly misaligned due to improper sealing, the during the first removing attempts it bents more or something, and after that it really bites itself to the hole... my neighbor did just the same drilling to his Citroen C3 cyl head and one injector. At least you got the bottom of the hole refined at the same time.

Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Thanks for all the tips, I had not joy heating the injector - it wouldn't budge at all.

I took it to an engineering place and had it machined out in the end.

Good effort mate... don't envy you putting it all back together
but good luck anyway.

Top Bottom