270cdi Thermostat

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
The first days of proper cold temperatures and I noticed that my temp is now sitting at one bar above 60, down from 1 above 80 as it has been all through summer. Is this a sign that my thermostat is on it's way (gone!) out?

If so, is it an easy diy repair? If it is, am I looking at MB for the new thermostat and is it a MB sourced part only?

Interestingly, my (computer) mpg has suddenly fallen from approx 44-46 for the home to work journey down to 38-40. Is this likely to be a consequence of the colder running engine or are other factors at play? I am trying to remember if this is the first tank fill without Millers in so it might also be that although other threads appear to poo-poo the idea of additives increasing mpg.

Thanks

Dave

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys.

I'll pick one up this week and fit it at the weekend, weather permitting.

Dave

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
The first days of proper cold temperatures and I noticed that my temp is now sitting at one bar above 60, down from 1 above 80 as it has been all through summer. Is this a sign that my thermostat is on it's way (gone!) out?

If so, is it an easy diy repair? If it is, am I looking at MB for the new thermostat and is it a MB sourced part only?

Interestingly, my (computer) mpg has suddenly fallen from approx 44-46 for the home to work journey down to 38-40. Is this likely to be a consequence of the colder running engine or are other factors at play? I am trying to remember if this is the first tank fill without Millers in so it might also be that although other threads appear to poo-poo the idea of additives increasing mpg.

Thanks

Dave

I have exactly the same symptoms..
Are we saying that irrespective of outside temp the temp display should show a notch above the 80 mark?
Mine after 10 miles of rush hour traffic (not far off an hour) is showing a notch or two below the 80 mark.
As with the original post my fuel consumption has dropped quite noticeably and yet my heater seems fine..
Does this make sense?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above the thermostat opens,or should open just after 92c, the engines are just not efficient below this.

I used to blank off half of my rads in the Winter and I know some with diesels that do that.

We used to be able to get rad blinds some years back,but modern car design has put a stop to that.

If anyone wants the info on how to change the thermostat please ask

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Blimey another superfast response Malcolm..
Please can you let me know how much antifreeze to buy from MB..
I am assuming I will effectively be replacing ALL the coolant??
Yes please to the instructions..
Hose clips..... Is there any reason I cant use jubilee clips or is this a nono just because its an MB.
I know the official hose clips need some sort of special tool for crimping the clips..
Thanks again in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Buy new clamps,,you will lose very little antifreeze and a top up is all that will be required.

I am sending you the paper on how to change it in 2 weeks time when it stops raining

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
I did the job myself and reused all the Jubilee clamps and bolts. They were in very good condition so no reason not to. Job took me 30 minutes and gave me the lost awaited opportunity to use my E-Torx sockets that I'd owned for 2 years but not used yet.

I only needed a litre of water/coolant mix to top up what had been lost.

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above the thermostat opens,or should open just after 92c, the engines are just not efficient below this.

I used to blank off half of my rads in the Winter and I know some with diesels that do that.

We used to be able to get rad blinds some years back,but modern car design has put a stop to that.

If anyone wants the info on how to change the thermostat please ask

Malcolm

Can you send me the instructions please? The more info I have the better chance I'll have of getting it right. :D

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm

Can you send me the instructions please? The more info I have the better chance I'll have of getting it right. :D

Dave

You should have it in your mail box Dave :D

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm. As always, almost as quick as I could get to my mailbox!

One more question, which engine number is mine?

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm. As always, almost as quick as I could get to my mailbox!

One more question, which engine number is mine?

Dave

I am hoping it is the 612, and that is what I sent the details for

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm

I dug out the German certificate of conformity and it states that it is the 612 so correct as always. :D

Just been on to Mercedes Chester and they have one in stock and it's £36.69 including the seal. They also recommend changing the little pipe so for the extra £4.31 I think I will as I'm taking it all apart anyway.

Dave

damog

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML 270
Hi there - i am a new member and see that Television is fantastic with the answers. For a ML it would be much appreciated Television if you could send:
1) Instructions to replace the thermostat
2) Info on the sunroof drain points
3) Instructions to replace the speedo cluster bulbs
Other than that the car is all good...honest
Many thanks for your help

Top Bottom