280 advice or information...

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Just to add my 2cents in.. Personally I think the 280 is a horrible engine, they are not fast and are really thirsty on fuel, and one day it will just stop starting well and you'll have to spend ages trying to replace bits to fit is, spares for these engines are not as commonly available as the V8's. If you want a 126 to run as a daily drive why not get a slightly later 300se, comparitivly modern engine that wont go wrong, but more power, better on fuel, tonnes of spares available and the engine suits the car in its own 'smooth' way. Plus being a facelift car you will get some other benifits over the early 280 versions.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
This one that was pointed out earlier i'd give my eye teeth to own.

Unusual combination silver with blue leather, to my eyes one of the most beautiful true MB cars of the last 20 years.http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C84073/

Seems to have been photographed mid way through a 27 point turn in the mews? :rolleyes::confused:

Super car though - looks like new.

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice!

OK I've seen this car thats not too far away:http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C88450/

The car has a full service history (all main dealer apart from 1). However the car has only covered 3000 miles since 2002.

I have talked my wife around & insurance looks around £300.

So I guess it's just upto me if I want to take the plunge into an 300 for my daily drive.
Does anyone here drive a w126 daily? if so hows the reliability now?

Thanks in advance
Craig.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone here drive a w126 daily? if so hows the reliability now?

Thanks in advance
Craig.

Yes , I bought my 500SEL last October and have covered approx 11,000 miles since .
11DSCN0930.jpg

13DSCN0932.jpg

17DSCN0936.jpg

So far , I've done an oil change ( 8 Litres ! ) , new discs & pads , 2 new tyres (this week) .
Besides that , I've replaced a few bulbs in the centre console illumination , stuck back one piece of wood that was peeling from its backing and fitted my ICE/phone carkit but that's it . The car sits a bit low at the back due , I think , to tired springs and the fact I always have a lot of stuff in the boot , but these will be replaced before long .

The car hasn't missed a beat and everything works apart from the air con .

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one and wish you luck with it .

regards

Derek .

PS , from your original post I thought you meant a W108 280SE .

Mark280SE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W108 1970 2.8ltr
Well I am a 280 SE owner and I have to say I am very happy with my car. For once I have a car I don't have to get any where in a hurry ( if I do need to go fast I have Porsches for that ) the relaxed drive is a nice welcome change but if I do put the boot in she goes mighty fine thanks

As for parts I am looking out but I am new to this model and working my way though what's what and all that..

I like the classic looks of my car and as I drove it all over North California before I shipped her here to the UK I am rather attached to it ..

IMG_1293.jpg

I know there is alot of negative comments for 280 so mine is a positive for one. Plus I think in time mine will increase in Value so a nice safe investment. Plus the insurance was only £130 a year. Already I have a company wanting to use the car for a photoshoot for some product they sell...so she can go earn her keep :)

any one got a hub cap as I have one that is rusty and all the others are perfect

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom