280 advice or information...

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
http://www.avantgardecars.co.uk/View.asp?ID=190

I'm toying with the idea of buying a classic Mercedes for my daily driver. I particularly like the 280se.

I beileve they are superbly built but if something does go wrong am I going to be looking at mega bucks??? how much are parts & servicing etc?

does anyone owned one? if so any advice of information would be most welcome.

Thanks
Craig.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Good car but why a 280 and not a 500 or 560???

Plenty of these being broken on ebay so parts will be easy enough to find and if the parts expensive its easier to buy another for the part and break whats left to recover some money.

jib

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
arn't the 500 v8?

I need to keep the cost of fuel in mind (plus I have to talk my wife around).

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
280 is a small unit in such a huge car, it might have to work harder to keep up thus use more fuel, the 420 and 500 on a run are reasonable on fuel, research the mpg, I bet the 280 and 420 are close.

jib

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Sorry yes 420 upwards are all V8 280 is a straight 6

jib

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
arn't the 500 v8?

You may not find a big difference on fuel costs. That is a big car and it is going to take a finite amount of energy to move it around. You might well find a 280 a bit leisurely, whereas the V8 engines have good torque and are not excessively thirsty.

It would be well worth trying both before committing, then do the sums on each and you may find the difference to be not that great, but the satisfaction could be another matter.

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
I also really like the look of the vehicle in the link.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Agree its a minter !!! but its more a garage queen for shows than a daily runabout, theres still some very good 126's about for less money so the dosh saved can go towards fuel.

jib

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
And the otehr thing the badge on the back 500-560 etc, tell the wife its a 2.6 or 2.8 the badge represents the model and spec not engine size.

jib

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
thanks for the info!

how about reliability?

I suppose the problem is I have a mini 1275gt for a second car (I only really take it to shows & sunday drives) so I can't justify spending too much time & money with repairs & maintainace on my daily.

however I do prefer period cars & would like something with some luxury.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Its a Mercedes built when Mercedes cars were great, just buy one.

jib

simon_wall69

Reaction score
arn't the 500 v8?

I've owned a 280 and a 560. The difference in fuel isn't much 20mpg vs 16mpg.

The 560 had things to aid economy such as the ride height lowers automatically at speed and the fuel cuts off on the overrun. They are enormously reliable for a 20 year old luxury car. If I had the room, I would have kept mine forever.

Also, the 560 will have many more options; most 280's that you see are quite spartan whereas the 560's came with most options standard. Mine had a snow chain switch, two tone horn, LSD, adjustable suspension, automatic rear blind, curtains, heated seats all round, 4x individual electric seats, a TV, pretty much mind-blowing for that age of car.

Fuel may be expensive, but road tax is no more expensive than a 1.5 litre Citroen AX and, if looked after, the car will appreciate in value.

They are probably the best Merc ever. Buy one!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Most on here love those 126 coupes, but as Jib, some very good examples out there much cheaper

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Has anyone had any dealings with Avantgarde cars? (they look & sound like a very reputable company)!

Could anyone give advice on what to look out for on the 280's?

What do people think about the price?

Thanks
Craig.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
The price is far too high, this seems to be a very, very basic w126; it really is worth looking at a v8 one or a much newer car (they were built into the 90's) if you have that sort of money to spend.

Headgaskets can go on the 280 engine, rust can develop above the plastic mouldings and round the sunroof. Also check that the heater blows hot and cold both sides, check the handbrake holds the car. Brake heavily and check the car pulls up straight when you do this; also check the SH to see when the ATF was changed and check the ATF is nice and pink and unburnt. Also, the central locking is prone to braking as the vacuum pipes develop leaks.

You really should have a good look around and see what else you can find. This is not a great specced 126 and you could have something many times better equipped and better engined for that money. I would expect air-con, cruise control, alloys and much more for an s-class.

OP
S

sefton1275gt

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'll have a look at all the usual suspects.

if anyone spots any please post a link.

Thanks
Craig.

popuptoaster

Reaction score
My W114 has the old 280 injection lump and it only does 20mpg in mine, i was getting more mpg out of my 350SL and they weigh more. :S

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom