3 clear mots in 3 years !

finleyfishface

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this... I have had my 500SL for three years now, still only 99200 mls, and amazingly, since I have owned it, it has now just passed three MOT's (obv in 3 years), going straight through, with no faults or advisorys.
Don't know what you lot think, but I think that is amazing for any vehicle that is 17 years old, and a huge credit to the way MB built these cars in 1992.
I realise there will always be good and bad vehicles, but mine has a good history, and obviously, it shows!
what an amzing piece of engineering !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A great car and a great post :D:D

WhiteC180

Reaction score
Website
webs.com
Your Mercedes
94 C180 Elegance, Volvo V40 Estate (wifes)
Great to hear.
Hope mine does the same on its MOT in Nov as ive only owned the car for a few weeks now.

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
Hi TV, thanks for your post, dont understand the bit in red, is that a generic message for all ? anyway, hope you are well..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi TV, thanks for your post, dont understand the bit in red, is that a generic message for all ? anyway, hope you are well..

My PM box fills up faster than I can empty it,,another 15 tried it today,,but it can stay full

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
funnily enough, the only fault with car, well two, was chips to the front bumper, ive just had that fully resprayed, and i have it booked in to replace rear screens.
The car is now nearly immaculate. If anyone wants to know a superior paint sprayer in south east wales its Autolaque of Abergavenny.They have done a superb job, and they really look after the car while its with them.
My windows are being done next week , so if anyone is interested, i will post, when done.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Always good to post good firms that do good work

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
ok, will do... i still cant get over the fact that this is a seventeen year old car and its gone through three consecutive mots without even winking !! I was thinking of changing to the R230, like you TV, but do you know what, I wonder sometimes ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok, will do... i still cant get over the fact that this is a seventeen year old car and its gone through three consecutive mots without even winking !! I was thinking of changing to the R230, like you TV, but do you know what, I wonder sometimes ?

After driving the 230 for almost 3 years, i drive a 129 500 on a test drive, and I had forgotten how nice they were, the driving was not that different to the 230.

Cost wise the 230 can be very expensive, nine has cost me £2.5k in 25k miles, and I fix a lot myself and that is for parts alone OK they are lovely to drive, I have every toy,,but I will not part with it

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
i think i have an interesting reply for you, and for all the club...
I know the director of two dealerships in the area, for subaru and peugeot and his other dealership is volvo.
He is a hugely successful guy, and has a range of personal cars including an Aston Martin. but he has owned from new an early 1992 SL, which has only covered 34000 miles, which he is selling through his garage network, its immaculate, and he told me last week, that he actually enjoys driving this as much as the AM, theres something about it, that he loves, and i think, thats another lovely credit for MB

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
How many miles have you done FinleyFish Face in three years, yes do let us know how you get on with the windows as it is the last job I need to do on my 1992 sl after I have replaced automatic g/box pipe from radiator to auto flexi pipe under radiator as it has gone very rusty, ordered it today from M.B. £39.00 check yours. Hope this helps

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
ok Brian, thanks, when my bumper was off, i noticed the pipes in front of what i assume is the oil cooler, were a bit tarnished, but i will check what you said thanks.
re mileage, yeah, i guess i do low mileage, but they say sometimes that can be worse you know ? I have done only 5k in three years.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok Brian, thanks, when my bumper was off, i noticed the pipes in front of what i assume is the oil cooler, were a bit tarnished, but i will check what you said thanks.
re mileage, yeah, i guess i do low mileage, but they say sometimes that can be worse you know ? I have done only 5k in three years.

I did not spend a penny in the first 5k miles :shock:

OP
F

finleyfishface

Reaction score
heres a terrible firestarter then, and I know this has been covered loads of times before, how good is the 230 compared to the undoubtable reliability of the 129 ?? I will hit hhe return button and hide, but I know my experiences with my R129 and have heard loads about the r230 ........!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I did not spend a penny in the first 5k miles :shock:

warranty would be good for that though i imagine Macolm! i had to tap on the no plate light to get the bulb to work amd clean the headlight lenses to get mine through an mot with 140+k miles! nice!

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Just wanted to post this... I have had my 500SL for three years now, still only 99200 mls, and amazingly, since I have owned it, it has now just passed three MOT's (obv in 3 years), going straight through, with no faults or advisorys.
Don't know what you lot think, but I think that is amazing for any vehicle that is 17 years old, and a huge credit to the way MB built these cars in 1992.
I realise there will always be good and bad vehicles, but mine has a good history, and obviously, it shows!
what an amzing piece of engineering !!

My 1990 300 SL (129) is equally as good and it has passed the last three MOT's with flying colours .I purchased it on 12/7/2006 ,had only one owner from new, full history , It was even professionaly hand waxed (massaged)twice a year before I got it and had only 49k on it when I had it and it now has 73k on it . OK I've had to put a new battery on it and a new MB exhaust as the whole system had corroded along the whole length as the vehicle had been idle and stored for a few years before I got it and new headlamp wipers but thats all . :D

Last edited:

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Our 1982W123 is our oldest car-24 years of M.O.T. passes to date and never failed one yet?

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 5

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Our 1982W123 is our oldest car-24 years of M.O.T. passes to date and never failed one yet?

I think they would be too embarrassed to fail such a beautifully presented car!

I wonder if people have noticed any correlation between how well a car is presented, and success at the MOT? I suspect that the way a car is presented externally may be a good guide to how well it is cared for mechanically?

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
This seems pretty much how Mercedes are if maintained and serviced .My 95 C200 has done 11 Mots in a row with no advisories or failures . I keep expecting something but it has just kept passing.

In fact 3 weeks ago it past again and the tester (who has tested it a few times over the years) said have you had anything done to this car ever?

I said well new discs because I thought they were looking a bit worn (but not for the MOT) other than that just basic service items .

Yes its on its original exhaust too!

He said you just keep bringing it back in the same condition every year but with 10000 more miles on the
clock!

Someday I am going to have to buy a newer model and wonder if I can achieve the extraordinarily good ownership experience I have enjoyed with this car.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom