300E-24 steering play

B Hall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'92 model 300E-24 and '93 model E500
Hi there,
I've bought myself a 300E a few months back as a car for the weekend. Great car, but I have noticed recently that some play has come into the steering. It has lost that arrow straight stability on the motorway. I drove it against a kerb to wedge the wheels and found that you can turn the steering wheel about 2-3 inches freely. I haven't had a chance to get under it yet, but before I go digging deeper, just wondered if any of you had a similar problem before. My gut feeling is the steering box going on the feel of the car and how it steers. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers
B Hall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There should be no more than 25mm at the steering wheel with the engine running and the wheels straight ahead

Welcome to the forum

OP
B

B Hall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm,
Thanks for the quick response and welcome. The car has got lot more movement than 25mm. You can actually feel it tramlining on the road. The steering wheel can be held dead centre, but when you get to some cambers or ruts, the car just changes course slightly by itself. I guess I need to get up on a jack and check underneath for any excess movement in the track rods etc.
B Hall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the track rods are easy to see by just jacking up one side,,by rocking that wheel all play can be seen. the idler / slave should not move too far up and down in the bearing

Do check the bottom swivels while you are at it,,do this by levering with an iron bar to check for play

OP
B

B Hall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all that info, I know now what I'll be doing this weekend. Will let you know how I get on.
Regards
B Hall

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
to add to that, and check it all first, but do also check the drop arm on the box, it has a pinch bolt and you must be sure there is no play in the splines here or in the steering column and joints that drive the box. if attempting to adjust beware that the threaded adjuster needs to be turned anticlockwise to reduce play, and always do this with the wheels off the ground so you can ensure that the friction around the center position is not increased.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
to add to that, and check it all first, but do also check the drop arm on the box, it has a pinch bolt and you must be sure there is no play in the splines here or in the steering column and joints that drive the box. if attempting to adjust beware that the threaded adjuster needs to be turned anticlockwise to reduce play, and always do this with the wheels off the ground so you can ensure that the friction around the center position is not increased.

If the nut on the end is adjusted,,it must be checked on full lock as well as the box could bind

OP
B

B Hall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just an update on my steering play problem. Managed to get the car up on a lift. Thankfully it has just turned out to be the right hand track rod ball joint worn out and the drag link ball joint worn out. The steering box is fine. The fact that the play came into the steering suddenly rather than building up slowly over time made me think something had failed rather than worn out. Would also like to add that my local MB dealership (Chelmsford) is quite good on prices compared to GSF. The prices are normally around the same, with the MB parts being cheqaper on some occasions.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom