300TD oil leak

qurm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300DT 1999
I recently changed the oil in my E300 TD, W210 estate, prior to a long trip around Europe. Previously I had a multigrade, and changed to a fully synth MB229.3 rated oil. The car has done less than 100K miles, and I consider it in very good condition, with no oil consumption, no smoke etc.

During this trip I have noticed a new oil leak from the engine area, and have had the oil level warning message several times. I am topping up at more than 1l per 100km. After removing the cover panels under the engine and having a good look round with a torch the source appears to the LHS of the block, somewhere in the area beneath the inlet manifold towards the rear. The starter motor is wet from oil, but it is hard to determine if this is the primary area, or just oil being blown around. The cover panels are soaked with oil.

Rocker cover seal is dry, oil cooler hoses are dry (but cannot really see the unions), starter motor is wet, joint between engine and bell-housing is wet, steering rack is wet, but probably due to drips from above.

Any have any idea what the source might be, or next steps to diagnose? Any common leak problems on the 300TD? I still have 3000km to cover before getting home, and would like to know the source rather than find out on the hard shoulder!

Thanks for all input, Andy.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
That's the area immediately below the filter housing, have a look around there and suspect eh filter cap isn't done up properly.

OP
Q

qurm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300DT 1999
dieselman,

Thanks for that, and it would be logical, as I disturbed the filter housing when changing the filter, but it looks fairly dry around the filter cap joint (and there is a good long thread and o-ring). I removed and replaced the cap to check, and all seems good (not cross-threaded).

Is the a joint lower down between the filter housing and the block? I cannot see it well, but I guess there is some joint with the oil-cooler pipes also?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Is the a joint lower down between the filter housing and the block? I cannot see it well, but I guess there is some joint with the oil-cooler pipes also?
Yes and yes.

Remove the intake manifold for a good view of the area. You can run the engine with the intake manifold off, so can see if it's leaking under pressure. The oil pressure switch is also there so can be checked also.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom